Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Merge Commit Message

AyL May 20, 2020

I have automatic merging turned for our release/* branches.

(Note that the branches are a sample)
image.png

We also use JIRA to track the features via the feature branches and the JIRA key.

However, we face an issue when there is a cascading conflict.
JIRA is unable to track the cascaded conflict as the source branch, target branch as well as the commit message does not mention the JIRA key.

As such, when such a conflict occurs, we can only rely on the notification that bitbucket send during a failed automatic merge. This is insufficient as the JIRA ticket is allowed to move onto the next stage of development and go thru deployment without the conflict being resolved.

A possible solution would be for the automatic merge commit message to mention the initial source of the automatic merge. For example, if the automatic merge is due to MUREXSAND-21, this particular JIRA key can be mentioned in the commit message. This would in turn allow JIRA to catch such a conflict as we will be able to see a open pull request on the ticket (and hence blocking the JIRA from moving forward in status).

Sadly, the automatic merge commit message does not seem to be editable.

Please let me know if there are any other methods that might solve the problem I am facing.

Thank you

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events