Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate Repository Access

Prasanth Sagar March 20, 2023

Is there a way to automate the process of providing access (Read / Write) of a repository instead of going manually to the dashboard, looking up for the settings and then editing the permissions.

The manual way is well described here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/using-repository-permissions-776639771.html

But, I am looking for an automated way wherein the repo owner doesn't have to go to the dashboard each time. Instead, I want to come up with a mechanism where in if I provide an interface to edit the permission, then it can be directly used to modify the permissions.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2023

Hi @Prasanth Sagar and welcome to the community!

The documentation you included in your post is for Bitbucket Server (not for Cloud), although repository permissions work similarly:

Can you please confirm if you're looking for info related to Bitbucket Cloud (repositories hosted in bitbucket.org)?

I am not really sure what you mean by the following:

I want to come up with a mechanism where in if I provide an interface to edit the permission, then it can be directly used to modify the permissions

Are you looking for APIs that you can use in order to modify permissions in Bitbucket Cloud?

If so, you can check the following API endpoints:

Group permissions

Explicit user permissions

In case you would like certain user groups to automatically gain access to new repos created in the workspace, you can configure this in the group's settings if you have admin access to the workspace.

Go to the workspace's Settings > User groups > select the user group that you want to automatically gain access to new repos created in the workspace. While viewing the user group details, select Edit and you will see a setting Automatically assign permissions for new repositories. You can set this setting to None, Read, Write, or Admin.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events