Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-detect Bamboo Specs

Stefan Hausotte April 16, 2019

Hi,

I've played around with Bamboo Specs and Bitbucket (both on-prem) and ran into the following problem.

When I add a Bamboo Spec to a repository, I have to create a build job on Bamboo manually. The behavior I expect it that Bamboo gets a trigger on a repo commit and checks if a Bamboo Spec is available. In that case a build plan should be created fully automatically. 

Is this somehow possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Victor Debone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2019

Hello @Stefan Hausotte,

Yes, it is possible :) You need to enable webhooks in your Bitbucket repository.

Did it help?

A side-question, what do you mean that you need to create a build job manually?

Victor

Stefan Hausotte April 17, 2019

Hi Victor. Thx for the fast answer. I've webhooks running already and it works for each change to the spec file trigger a new build.

What I want is to skip the initial step, where I have to create a Bamboo plan and link the repo with the spec file. I want Bamboo to automatically check all repositories for a spec file and if any is found, create an build plan automatically. 

Workflow:

1. I create a Bitbucket repo

2. I add a spec file

3. Bamboo checks that a new repo with a spec file was created

4. Bamboo create an build plan based on the spec automatically

5. profit

Is this possible or have I misunderstood the documentation?

Stefan Hausotte April 17, 2019

By "create manually" I mean, I've to click on "Create" -> "Create Bamboo Spec" and then add Project details and link a repo. 

Victor Debone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2019

Ok, you want Bamboo to automatically read every repository from your (linked?) Bitbucket Server and, if detected, run its Bamboo Specs. Did I understand you correctly?

Are you using YAML or Java Specs? Also, you got my curiosity on your need to create new repositories frequently, could you give some more details about that?

Stefan Hausotte April 18, 2019

Yes you understood correctly.

I'm using YAML specs. Currently my team has a few hundred repositories, so it a "transparent" build server would be really great. 

I've hear from one of my engineers that other build systems provide this behavior. If Bamboo would provide this too, we could automate our build and deploy completely.

We have micro-service architecture, so build and deploy looks very similar for every project. We could just create a template with a Bamboo build spec and as as soon as it is in Bitbucket, the build and deploy would work. 

Victor Debone
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2019

Great that we understood each other :) 

We are seeing more customers approaching this usage in Bamboo, you can track this suggestion at BAM-19718. If you have more remarks about your use-case, feel free to describe them in more details, knowing and understanding our customers problems are crucial for our prioritisation process.

Victor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events