Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Author spoofing / Wrong Attribution

Alex Bruckert August 21, 2015

I am using an external service to commit to a repository (translation service - pootle)

that server uses an ssh key for user A to commit to the repository

the user who does the actual translation is user B who also has a bitbucket account

for some reason i dont understand now, on bitbucket in MOST places, the commit is wrongly tagged as user b

for instance in the "Commits" screen, or in the "Raw commit"

where it says

the only place where its shown correctly is on the overview / Dashboard where it shows

1 commit

Pushed to group/repository

XX12345 commit from Pootle Servle by user someuser.: 2 of 5 strings translated (0 need review).

user 1 - 22 minutes ago

so i am very confused now, why it shows user B anywhere, though he didnt directly commit anything to the repository, the only thing was that he "accidently" uses an email adress of a existing bitbucket user ... he did however never pass any credentials or password to bitbucket to prove that ... as the authentification was done using an ssh key that is only put into account A

any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Gary
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2015

Hi Alex,

This can happen if there is a crossover of your git config where you have the same email specified.  Also, remember, there is a difference between the commiter and author - someone can commit code, but still have a separate author.

Cheers,
Gary 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events