Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication problem

Paritosh Sen September 20, 2020

I was having problem with authentication. I'm receiving error "Invalid Username or password" when authenticating to Bitbucket Cloud via git.

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2020

Hi @Paritosh Sen ,

Welcome to the community!

One of the possible causes for this issue is that there are stored credentials in your git client or credential manager which interferes while authenticating with Bitbucket Cloud. It could also mean that the credential manager is not providing the correct credentials for authentication. 

To solve this, you will have to clear any stored credentials in your machine and reset your Atlassian Account password. Please refer to the steps below. 

Steps

1. Firstly reset your password at "https://id.atlassian.com"
  2. Ensure you are able to login to Bitbucket Cloud -  "https://bitbucket.org"
  3. Clear stored credentials on your machine
    1. Windows: Navigate to Credential Manager and clear stored credentials related to Bitbucket Cloud.
    2. Mac OS X: Navigate to Keychain Access and clear stored credentials related to Bitbucket Cloud
  4. Once this is done, try to login to perform a git operation authenticating to Bitbucket Cloud once again. 

Additional Steps if you are using Sourcetree and experiencing this issue. 

1. Open Source Tree
  2. On Windows
    1.  On the toolbar click "Tools" >> click "Options"
    2. On the "Options" window click the "Authentication" tab
    3. Identify stored credentials to Bitbucket Cloud and remove them. 
  3. On Mac
    1. Click Sourcetree > Preferences >> Accounts 
      1. Shortcut = Command + Comma
    2. On the Accounts tab, remove stored credentials. 
  4. Try authenticating via Sourcetree once again. 
Paritosh Sen September 20, 2020

Thank you for your solution.

himanshu_jaiswal October 22, 2020

Hi @Soumyadeep Mandal 

I am facing the same issue. I cleared stored creds. Tried again after resetting.  For some time it works then it shows again the authentication message.

Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2020

Hi @himanshu_jaiswal ,

You can do some troubleshoot like clear browsing cache from your browser, Try in incognito/private brosing, & changing the current browser!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events