Authenticate Bitbucket in VSCode over SSH

sandip August 23, 2021

Hi,

I'm working on a remote codebase with VS Code and I need to authenticate Bitbucket and JIRA over SSH. However VS Code tells me that Authentication cannot be done while running remotely.

Access the device locally is not an option.

Is there a way around to this problem?

Thanks,
Sandip

3 answers

2 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2021

Hi Sandip,

I assume that you're using Atlassian for VS Code extension? If so, I'm afraid that there is no way around this issue, we don't support authentication remotely.

There is a feature request to support this in the issue tracker for this extension, you can vote for it and add yourself as a watcher if you'd like to get notified on any updates:

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
kai tian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 28, 2023

"I have encountered the same issue. When will it be supported? Thank you."

0 votes
jwright July 19, 2023

I have the same problem. Is there any update on this?

(I'm denied access to the issue link)

Thank you.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2023

Hi @jwright

This feature hasn't been implemented yet, so I'm afraid it is not possible to authenticate remotely.

The issue I posted is public, what kind of error do you see when you try to access it?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Like # people like this
jwright November 29, 2023

The workaround is to authenticate to Bitbucket locally in VSCode before connecting to the remote host. 

(Issue link is working now.)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events