Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auth seems to be fundamentally broken

gbonfiglio January 21, 2019

Hello,

one month ago I had the terrible idea of cleaning up my GitHub access tokens, and haven't managed to get SourceTree back in a working state since then.

After logging in again, SourceTree keeps asking for my password every time I push something. Having 2FA enabled I can't use the account password, and need a token that is impossible to remember and shouldn't be stored anywhere.

I found tens of threads here with the same issue, none of the workarounds suggested worked. So I went ahead and cleaned some SourceTree config files, with the result that the issue wasn't solved and now SourceTree was unable to find my local SSH keys and was only giving me an option to generate new ones.

As last resort I *completely* cleaned up my setup and installed again, then successfully logged into GitHub via oAuth.
- removed app files
- removed config folder
- removed all entries in Keychain
- removed all oAuth/temp tokens related to SourceTree from GitHub

At this stage I don't get a password prompt anymore, but get a 403 error when I try to push via HTTP. SSH isn't an option since SourceTree is still unable to list my existing SSH keys.

I spotted the below (see screenshot) during login (which is clearly some recent regression since my old token was probably ok) - why is SourceTree asking for readonly access to my GitHub account and then using it to push code?

sourcetree-oauth.png

In short, HTTP doesn't work for this reason, SSH doesn't work for another reason. Is someone looking into this? I'm surprised there are still so many topics on login issues, sounds like something hard to get right?

Giorgio

1 answer

0 votes
Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2019

Please check if the ssh-agent has your keys loaded. If not, please add them to the agent. 

Run below commands in terminal to do so,

To check if keys are loaded:

ssh-add -l

To add keys to agent:

ssh-add <path_to_key>

more like,

ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa

Key in the passphrase used while generating the ssh key and you should be good to go.

gbonfiglio January 23, 2019

Hello,

my SSH agent is running, and if I'm not wrong in the past it was not even required, SourceTree was just reading the content of .ssh, right?

Anyway, I'd prefer to have oAuth fixed given ST requires it anyway to list repos etc. Is the one I'm facing a bug?

Giorgio

Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2019

Could you please submit a ticket on http://jira.atlassian.com/ for the team to look into this? We haven't had reports of this after moving the OAuth to default browser.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events