Attachment broken in email:notify

Malte Begerau April 4, 2022

Hello,

I'm using the email:notify pipe to send a monthly report. It works but for some reason the attachment (csv file) is recognized as broken by Thunderbird email client. If I install the "show all body parts" plugin in Thunderbird I can see and open the csv file. This addon is only required if there is a structural problem with attachments.

I know this is kind of a specific problem, but maybe you can fix it.

Here are screenshots of the email source and the pipe:
screenshot.pngpipe.png

Thank you and have a nice day!

1 answer

0 votes
Ben
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2022

Hey Malte,

Does this affect all mail clients? Are you able to try to send an attachment to a Gmail account or another email provider for example to test?

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Malte Begerau April 5, 2022

Hey Ben,

sadly for me it works on iphone mail and on gmail webmail. So I guess it's just not big enough of a problem for you to invest time into this. The thing is, I've never had problems with attachments in Thunderbird in any other context.

Also interesting if I use gmail or Thunderbird itself and forward the same mail to myself again, then it works. So I guess there is something weird about the email from the pipe that Thunderbird can't handle but other mail clients do fix it automatically.

If someone has the time to look into this or if someone has the same problem, here are the mail source codes from my forwards to myself that do work in Thunderbird with basically the same content and attachment but slightly different structure/headers.

Maybe there is someone out there that knows a little bit more about email source code and how it should look like. The only differences I see are that the pipe mail has this MIME-Version header and that the plain and html content are base64 encoded in the pipe mail.

forward from gmail:

gmail.png

forward from Thunderbird:

thunderbird.png

PS: I tried some stuff, like attaching a txt file instead of a csv file and/or creating an html file to use with BODY_HTML, but the outcome was always the same.

Ben
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2022

Hey Malte,

The issue appears to be Thunderbird specific so unfortunately, this is out of my depth of expertise :/ 

Hopefully someone has ran into the same issue in the past and has some advice for you, alternatively, the Mozilla community might be helpful as well.

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events