Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Password

qbrt January 28, 2022

Trying to figure out how to use the new feature "App Password" with the git command line to connect to bitbucket cloud repos on a Windows Server 2016.

I've created an app pwd with a label. Removed all the bitbucket related credentials from the Windows Credentials Manager. When I go and run "git pull" from CLI, I am asked to provide acct/pwd through a GUI. When I use the app label and password things do NOT work. Only if I use my Atlassian ID/pwd do things work. Where or how do I register the app label and password for the command line git utility?

Following this help doc does not help.

App passwords | Bitbucket Cloud | Atlassian Support

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Anthony Vaughan Bartram January 28, 2022

I'm trying to figure out the same thing.

Looks like this might be useful:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39886995/how-to-access-bitbucket-using-app-password

i.e. curl -u "username:<appPassword>" "https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/[yourRepo]"

Hope this helps.

qbrt January 28, 2022

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've tried curl and adding the label:password to the remote URL via "git remote" without success. 

How are people switching to this? Have a month left to figure this out.

qbrt January 28, 2022

ooooooooookaaaaaaaaaay.... after closer inspection of the above suggestion, I used "username" and not "label" and it worked! Thank you.

So, once the app label and password are created: i.e. label = myapp; pwd = s3cre3t,

delete the credentials from the Windows Credentials Manager for git. I had two of them. Then at the command line type a git action that will force the Credentials Manager GUI to popup asking for git credentials. In the username -- do NOT use the email NOR the label (myapp). Must use the "username" of the Atlasian account. You will find the "username" on the "bitbucket profile settings". Then use the password for the newly created App label. i.e. s3cr3t

This info should be put in the Atlassian's help doc with much better wording than I have done here :). It's Friday night..ack.

App passwords | Bitbucket Cloud | Atlassian Support

0 votes
waqar bhatti June 5, 2023

The same thing is what I'm trying to determine.

This appears to be useful:

Hope this was useful.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Without success, I attempted using curl and adding label:password to the remote URL using "git remote".

What is the method of adoption for this? have one month to come up with a solution.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events