Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any timeline for Mercurial support

Greg Sandell July 18, 2011

GIT is not the only player in the Distributed Version Control System (DVCS) space. Mercurial is also becoming popular, and is even preferred by many to GIT for its simplicity. Have you identified Mercurial as a to-be-supported source code control system in Crucible for any time in the future? Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
seb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2011

I can see how the documentation is misleading. I have edited the page to indicate that there is Hg support in Crucible.

Greg Sandell July 19, 2011

Thanks...and BTW while configuring Crucible to work with our Mercurial repo, and on the page that allows you to test your connection to the repo, I had to insert a username into the url to get it to work, e.g. http://username@domain.com/myRepo. Otherwise it just asks you for a password and will always fail.

0 votes

Not to get off-topic, but while I agree that Git might be the most full-featured DVCS, but there are other factors that can make Hg the preferred choice: buy-in from corporate governance, aptitude of the developers involved, and so on. I have heard reports from a company that jr developers continue to struggle grasping how to do merges in git. http://bit.ly/gQkev7 is a good article contrasting git vs. mercurial on merge issues.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2011

Fisheye and crucible have supported Hg for a while. In what sense do you mean support?

I see that now, the Crucible home page does indicate hg support. In the Crucible install notes there are client setup docs for Subversion, Git, Perforce and CVS, but not Mercurial...so that's why I thought hg was not supported. I will follow one of the other guides and do my best to fill in any gaps for hg. Thanks

0 votes
Gary Weaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2011

IMO you should try Git out in earnest for at least one project for several months vs. Hg and see what you think. We had SVN, Hg, and Git in tandem and all decided to move everything to Git. I use some git scripts to make some things easier to remember. Understood that you just can't change source control all of a sudden, but try it out if you can.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events