Allow yarn/npm install for bitbucket repo for all teammates (ssh username issue)

Brendan Miller December 2, 2019

Hi. We are a team trying to set up a private bitbucket repo to be used during yarn/npm install for all users.

The problem we are having is that some of our users have different ssh usernames for bitbucket, and so the connection fails.

For example, if I set up a npm module like this:

yarn add git+ssh://git@bitbucket.org:ourteam/our_repo.git

Some users cannot connect and download the module because they have a different ssh username associated at bitbucket, for example "JohnSmith@bitbucket.org". As a result they cannot connect.

We will not be able to share a repo as a npm module unless the url is the same for all users, of course, which seems to suggest we all have to have our ssh username be "git@bitbucket.org". Can this ssh username be changed/reset independently using bitbucket settings?

Please advise how we can resolve this.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2019

Hello @Brendan Miller,

This sounds a bit strange to me. If you're using SSH, username in the repository URL should always be git (or hg in case of Mercurial repository). Users are identified by the SSH key provided.

The actual user's username is used only in the HTTPS clone URL, but that's irrelevant for what you're trying to set up.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

Brendan Miller December 2, 2019

Thanks @Daniil Penkin  for your suggestion. After your post, I confirmed with a user who was having a problem and it does seem that they have never set up a SSH key for accessing their bitbucket repos and have always been cloning using HTTPS, which of course requires their username in the HTTPS link. That is the real source of the problem, it seems.

So I think the solution is to confirm that our users are all using SSH to access our repos and then I think the issue will resolve itself.

Like Daniil Penkin likes this
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2019

You should actually be able to use SSH with the username, assuming the user has permissions and SSH keys set up appropriately. "git@bitbucket.org" still works, though, and it's a good generic choice for individual users (and the only option for access keys).

Like Daniil Penkin likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events