Allow merge to master or modifications to master with pull request

ThePokyWizard June 10, 2022

Today I work with the GitFlow method available from GitKraken.

When there's a new feature we start a branch on the Feature that goes to Develop and then there's a Release.

When there's a bug fix, we start a branch on the Hotfix, which goes to Develop and then a Release.

It happens that when there is a release, the code is placed in the Master. But since there is a risk that something was accidentally uploaded or even the developer deleted something, we want to approve everything that goes to the Master.

We saw this Bitbucket article "Suggest or require checks before a merge" and enabled the branching permission, but still, people are able to send everything to the master without having to approve what was sent. How can I control what goes to the Master?

Screenshot.png

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2022

Hi @ThePokyWizard,

I see that you created a support ticket for this issue, but I wanted to leave a reply here as well for any other users who may come across your post with the same question.

Selecting certain merge checks only will show a warning when someone tries to merge and the merge checks are not successful.

In order to prevent a merge when the checks fail, you will need to additionally select the option "Prevent a merge with unresolved merge checks" in that dialog, which is possible if your workspace is on the Premium plan.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2022

@ThePokyWizard If you just need to control direct push from local to remote master just enter 'master' into the Branch permission's "select branch" input field. (It's currently set to 'main')

Obviously you can nominate exceptions for some user(s) as you have done and let the rest of the team merge to 'master' via PR only.

This should be sufficient to accomplish your goal of limiting who can push to 'master'.

Let me know how you go.

Best, Ulrich

Izymes 

// Eliminate boring from work

Like # people like this
ThePokyWizard June 15, 2022

Thanks @Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_ ,
I made the suggested modification by support (enable: Prevent a merge with unresolved merge checks) and also changed the branch name to master and it worked.

Like # people like this
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2022

That's good to hear, thank you for the update @ThePokyWizard!

And thank you @Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_ for noticing the branch name!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events