Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding user in bitbucket

Sathishkumar January 27, 2020

I have created a repository in bitbucket (free) account. And also added a user for that repository by providing the email id. 

The invitation is received to that user email id which I added above. But when accepting the invitation it's redirecting me to the page where it asking to create a username instead of the shared repository.

Added user is not able to see/access the shared repository.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

Hello @Sathishkumar,

Welcome to the Community!

If the link in that email invitation is suggesting to create a user, it means that the email is not associated with any user in Bitbucket. That is, that person has to create a user account first to then be able to authenticate with Bitbucket and access your repository.

As soon as a user is associated with that email, they will get access to the repository in question.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

sathishvanamoorthi January 28, 2020

@Daniil Penkin  thanks for your response. Actually I want to create a team of 50 members for my organisation. So thought to do a proof of concept by creating a team of 5 initially and then upgrade to Premium. So is it every member whom I want add should have an account in bit bucket initially? Is this kind of process is only for cloud version and not for server?

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

So is it every member whom I want add should have an account in bit bucket initially?

When you invite a person by adding their email, Bitbucket checks if a user with such email is registered. If so, it invites the existing user to the team. If not, it sends an invitation to create an account in Bitbucket which would then be invited to the team.

That is, every person has to have an account in Bitbucket to be able to access repositories  of the team (anonymous users can only see public repositories).

Is this kind of process is only for cloud version and not for server?

Bitbucket Server is similar in terms of access management. However, invitation flow works differently due to the hosted nature of Bitbucket Server.

Cheers,
Daniil

sathishvanamoorthi January 28, 2020

Even after accepting the invite and creating an account in bitbucket am not able to see the shared repository. Am not sure is anything am missing here. Kindly advise.

Below are the two approach which I tried.

1. Consider there is an account X. I created a repository in X account and added Y in that repository under "Setting -> User and group access". Now Y got the invite and accepted it and created the user. Even after that Y not able to see the shared repository in his account.

2. Now Y created a repository in his account and added X under user. Even now also X got the invite and it's requesting to create an account (even though X already have the account). X login to his account and the repository which shared by Y is not able to see

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2020

Do you mind opening a support case for this? It's hard to guess without exact details. Note that Community questions are public, so please don't post any sensitive data here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events