Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add new repositories to a project from within the project.

Steve Brine April 3, 2023

This is more of a feature request that anything else (or a similar functionality to Server, request).

I am in the process of migrating from projects Bitbucket Server to Cloud. Now part of this process is also to add in a number of repos to existing projects and create new project with new repos. (bring hardware as well as software under the BB/git management)

In BB Server I can go to the project and then there is a button called Create Repository which will then allow a new repo to be created under the project. With the context of the current project.
image.png

Under BB Cloud this same button is labelled "Add Repositories" and allows adding of an existing repo but not to create a new one. To create requires choosing Repository from the Blue dropdown button, then finding and choosing the project and giving a name to the repo. 

image.pngimage.png

I am not quite halfway through adding in 86 new repos. With most under existing projects (some new) so hence my question/suggestion. (No doubt won't be actioned before I get finished but hey, ask the question now get a result for next time).  While it is not arduous it is tedious. I will note that on the creation of a new project you get the opportunity to create an new repo (or add an existing)

There may well be a perfectly valid reason for this of which I am not aware, if so then fine. 

So my suggestion is either

1. Extend the Add Repository button to allow either finding existing or to create new

2. Change the Add to Create as this is more likely, (IMHO) than adding existing. The Add existing could be a different process, maybe from the LHS menu. 

3. Add an extra button to be Create New and keep the Add (existing) as is. As seen when creating a new project (as below). 

image.png 

My preference probably would be to choose option 3 as this is the best of both worlds.

Cheers,
Steve B 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2023

Hi @Steve Brine,

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

The reason why the "Add repositories" button is only available on a specific project page is that you'll need a specific project before you can add repositories.
However, I do believe adding this as a button in the "Create" dropdown is more intuitive and easier for anyone adding existing repositories to a project anywhere you are in the bitbucket.org website.

For that, I went ahead and created a feature request for it that can be located through this link. - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-22590
You can upvote and watch it for now so that you'll be notified of any updates from our team when the feature becomes available on Bitbucket Cloud.
Please do note that we don't have an exact ETA for the feature request as all new features will be implemented according to our policy here.

Regards,
Mark C

Steve Brine April 5, 2023

Forgive me if I misinterpreted your reply but it seems to be the opposite of what I was suggesting.

"The reason why the "Add repositories" button is only available on a specific project page is that you'll need a specific project before you can add repositories."

- Yes this is true so the suggestion was to allow a NEW repository to be created while in the project.

My workflow is

1. Create a Project (eg Widget1)
2. Create a Repository in that project (eg. Widget1_HW)
3. Create another repository in that project (Widget1_SW)
4. Create another repository in that project (Widget1_MECH)

The functionality is there to create the first repository immediately after creating the project but the second and subsequent you need to click on the (Blue) Create button, select Repository, search for the project, then specify the new repo name (and other parameters) before clicking "Create Repository" button. My suggestion was to allow the user to go to the project and then add a new repo, which gets the project association without having to search for it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

This is what my suggested project page would possibly look like. (Note the workspace name, project name and repo names have been redacted.)

BitBucket_Suggestion.png

Regards,

Steve B

Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2023

Hi @Steve Brine

Thanks for the clarification. Apologies for that.
It makes sense now.

For that, I went ahead and adjusted the feature request for you. - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-22590

Feel free to let me know if I missed any details.

Regards,
Mark C

Steve Brine April 5, 2023

Yes that is better. I tried to add a comment to the previous feature request with a picture (as I put in my previous reply, shown above) but I didn't have permission to do it. Then I saw you had replied, and here we are.

Regards,

Steve B

Like Mark C likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events