cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account recovery without 2FA

Jan Sipos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 9, 2020

Hi

I set up 2FA for bitbucket, and used Google Authenticator for codes. However I had to change the phone and had no recovery codes. When turned on the old phone it seems the code doesn't work anymore. The command "ssh git@bitbucket.org recovery_code" returns message "You can use git or hg to connect to Bitbucket. Shell access is disabled" Is there any way to reset all this so I can change the authenticator app on new phone?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2020

Hi Jan, thank for reaching out!

If you changed your device, lost your recovery codes, and can't get new ones, please submit a Support ticket with us so we can help you gain access to your account again. You can do so at Contact Support :)

Best regards,

Ana 

Jan Sipos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 9, 2020

Hello Ana

the contact support was offered but was required login on the page. Anyway I used login via Google account and did a few more tries - finally I managed to get the recovery codes the following way - in case someone runs into this issue adding the steps that worked for me.

1. Seems there was a  typo (missed the last "s" :( ) so the proper command for the pc where the active certificate is : 

ssh git@bitbucket.org recovery_codes

2. When promoted for password switch to browser and use the option to recover / reset password. You will receive a link to your mail box and when u reset your password you will be asked to enter the verification code.

3. Switch back to the console with the ssh command and use the new password. You will get the recovery codes usable on the web.

4. If you didn't used all the codes before you should be able to log in this way via web to your account and disable / reset the 2FA.

Hope this helps if anyone runs into similar issue :)

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2020

Hi Jan! Glad that you made it work and that you shared your scenario with the rest of the Community :) 

If you need anything else in the future, let us know.

Regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events