cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to empty Bitbucket Cloud workspaces will be lost

Developer Arimars
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2024

Dear Bitbucket Support Team,

I recently received a notification suggesting that there is an empty workspace associated with my account, which will be deleted after July 31, 2024. However, I am under the impression that there are no empty workspaces in my account as all are actively being used.

I would appreciate your assistance in clarifying this matter. Could you please specify which workspace is referred to in the warning? Additionally, could you guide me on how to check the contents of this workspace to ensure that it is indeed empty?

What steps should I take to preserve any workspace that might mistakenly be considered empty? Also, I would be grateful for any advice on how to review my account to prevent such misunderstandings in the future.

Thank you in advance for your help and looking forward to your prompt response.

Best regards,

Buket

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2024

Hi Buket,

The Bitbucket Cloud account with the same email as the community account you used to make this post does not have access to any empty workspaces. Did you receive this email from Atlassian to a different email address of yours?

By empty workspace, we mean a workspace with no repo, project, snippets, issues, or wikis.

You can find all workspaces an account has access to if you:

1. Log in to https://bitbucket.org/ with the email address of that account
  2. Select your avatar (top right corner) > All workspaces

From that page, you can open a certain workspace, and then navigate from the menu at the top to Repositories, Projects and More > Snippets to see if that workspace has any of these.

The email you received should have included the id of any empty workspaces that account has access to near the end. Do you see that in the email you received?

If this concerns a Bitbucket Cloud account with an email address different than the one of your community account, please log in to https://community.atlassian.com/ using the email address where we sent the email and leave a comment here, so I can check that account's workspaces.

Kind regards,
Theodora

admin-vatogo July 4, 2024

I have received the same notification and it is poorly structured.

- You comment, "should have included the ID of any empty workspaces that account has access to near the end". The problem is that at no point is it made clear that the listed item is an ID of any sort.

- The provided 'ID' does not match any values shown in the Workspace list, for my account the 'ID' is made up of <first name><second name> while the Workspace list shows <first name>.

Whoever created this mail shot does not understand Bitbucket as they are retrieving the "Workspace ID" field from the database without considering that the visible name is the "Workspace name" field. To find the value in the email you have to select the "Manage" action for a listed workspace and then check the displayed "workspace settings" page.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2024

Hi @admin-vatogo,

Thank you for the feedback, and apologies for the confusion caused by this.

The Workspace name that shows on the All workspaces page is not a unique identifier for a workspace. We listed workspace ids in the email because they are unique (no two workspaces can have the same id). The ID is also visible in the workspace URL in your browser's address bar, once you open a workspace.

That being said, I understand that the email could have been better phrased to make it easier to identify the workspaces.

Please feel free to reach out if you need any further help.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Buket Ustaoğlu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 24, 2024

Hi Theodora, 

Thank you for your prompt response and support.

Yes, right, I received the notification on my this email address, <email_address>, and the workspace ID mentioned in the email was "bu....". The "bu..." my account currently is as a member in this workspace.

To confirm, based on your response, this "dev..." account and the projects within it do not seem to be at risk of being deleted, correct?

I appreciate your assistance in clarifying this matter.

Best regards,
Buket

Theodora Boudale

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2024

Hi Buket,

Thank you for reaching out.

Just a heads up, I removed the email and workspace id from your post to protect your privacy.

The Bitbucket account with the email you shared in your last reply has access to two workspaces:

• The first one, starting with 'bu', is the account's personal workspace. It was created automatically by Bitbucket when you created this account. It has no repos, projects, or snippets, so it is empty.
  • The second one, starting with 'dev', is a workspace that has projects and repos.

The workspace starting with 'dev' will NOT be deleted.

The account associated with the email you shared will NOT be deleted.

The workspace starting with 'bu' is empty, and it will be deleted.

It's important here to understand the distinction between account and workspace. You use your account to log in to Bitbucket's website. Workspaces, on the other hand, are like containers for repos. The account will not be deleted, only the empty personal workspace 'bu...' will be deleted.

I hope this helps to clarify. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Buket Ustaoğlu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 24, 2024

Hi Theodora,

Thank you so much for your detailed response and for taking the time to address my concerns. I appreciate your effort to protect my privacy by removing sensitive information from my post.

Your explanation about the account and workspace distinctions was very clear and helpful. I now have a better understanding of the changes that will be made.

Thank you again for your support and assistance.

Kind regard

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events