Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API Access to company JIRA

Ankit Singh Chauhan June 4, 2021

I want to connect to the JIRA Rest API for my company to retrieve Issue details. All the methods I have found so far require Admin access or access to the JIRA Setup itself , which I can't have.

Is there a way that I can get the Authorization Key for my user profile to hit the REST API?

1 answer

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hi @Ankit Singh Chauhan 

Looking at the tags associated with this question, there is mention of Bitbucket, yet the question seems to relate to Jira. Also, not knowing whether you're using a server or cloud based system could change the answer, so please clarify these points first and we'll try to help you.

If it is Jira, you don't need Admin access, but you will only have access in Jira to whatever the user that you're connecting as, has in Jira i.e. if the user has access to project A but not B, you'll get an error through the API if you try to do something with project B.

Ankit Singh Chauhan June 7, 2021

Hi @Warren , not sure how those irrelevant tags got added here. Have updated them.

As for the JIRA, its Server based.

I have gone through a few docs which indicated that I should get the Token generation option under the JIRA Avatar but I am not getting anything as such

Can you please direct me to some docs or descriptions that might help?

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hi @Ankit Singh Chauhan 

Okay, I only use the cloud based Jira, but I've done a quick search and this document seems to give some details, lots of links for authorisation etc. I don't know if this is the latest documentation or if it even matches your Jira version, but it's a start.

Once you've looked at that and tried some things, come back here and tell us what you've tried and what issues you may still be having.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2021

Hello @Ankit Singh Chauhan 

Only if you are using Jira CLOUD would you be able to use keys and tokens for authentication to the REST API.

Jira SERVER only recently acquired the feature to use keys and tokens for REST API authentication (read this article for more information). You must have v8.14.0 or higher for this feature.

For prior versions of Jira Server, you must use either Basic authentication, OAuth or browser based cookies. Refer to the Jira Server REST API page which describes the different authentication methods supported by the Jira Server REST API.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events