Why is this being discontinued?

rsbeckerca February 9, 2021

We just were notified this morning that our ability to continue licensing BitBucket Server ends this month. This is highly problematic.

1. This is not enough notice for customers to rework plans, including budgets.
  2. BitBucket server constitutes a high infrastructure investment with repositories in the multi-gigabyte range. Going to a cloud solution is going to trash our networks. We have specific service level agreements (99.9999% uptime) with our internal departments for availability that our upstream ISP cannot possibly maintain. This is going to put our production systems at risk.
  3. Between ourselves and our partners, we have over 25,000 users of BitBucket server who will have to transition to the Cloud. We have no confidence that Atlassian will be able to support this level of user, nor will our Single Sign On continue to be supported.

We think this is, bluntly, a bad decision by Atlassian, leaving us with no choice but to move to another Enterprise Git provider unless the decision is reversed.

Sincerely,

Randall

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

I think you've misunderstood a few things.

1.  Atlassian announced this in October last year, the notification you've got today is a reminder. 

The change though is not about continuing to licence Bitbucket Server, it's just about no longer being able to buy new server licences.  You can continue with your existing servers, fully supported for another 2 years, giving you plenty of time to migrate to another solution

2.  You do not need to move to Cloud.  You can move to Bitbucket Data Centre (it's effectively the same software as Server - the migration of any server instance to DC is almost as simple as "apply new licence and tell it it's a single node cluster")

3. With 25k Bitbucket users, I'd have expected you to be looking at DC already.  It's fully supported at way more than 25k users, and is not going away, unlike Server.

Like # people like this

Thanks. Your notice on the website about discontinuing did not mention BitBucket Data Centre. We are glad that this is the case. Please try to be clear with your communication to avoid panicking major users who are not in the infrastructure departments.

Like seanaty likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

It's not me!  I'm not an Atlassian!

I think they messed up the announcement a bit personally.  I had one client ring us in a panic first thing in the morning because he didn't see anything about "or move to DC" anywhere in the announcements he'd read, followed by a fortnight of similar, but not quite so panic'y calls with more.

Like # people like this
Tyler T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2021

Here is some additional information about migration to Data Center: https://www.atlassian.com/migration/data-center/self-guided/plan-your-migration#build-your-team

Ms Ritu February 9, 2021

It is disappointing to hear bitbucket is going to discontinue

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2021

Bitbucket Server only.  Bitbucket Cloud and Bitbucket Data Centre are staying with us.

Like # people like this

It is Bitbucket Server not Bitbucket Data Centre or Cloud that we are using extensively. I still have not seen the official announcement. Moving to the Cloud is not an option for all but a small few of our projects.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2021

In my opinion BitBucket Data Centre is one of the easier products to migrate to given they offer lower user tiers compared to Jira and Confluence.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2021

If you were a licence holder, technical contact, or subscribed, you were notified about https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/journey-to-cloud last October.

There's more information, based on incoming questions, at https://www.atlassian.com/migration/faqs

The short story is that you've got a couple of years to move to Cloud, DC or off Atlassian (unless you're happy to continue with unsupported software - for what it's worth, I picked up a client today who is still on Jira 3.3, working fine, but unsupported for well over a decade if memory serves)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events