Try out the new Bitbucket Cloud pull request experience today!

Viewing page 4 of 4

92 comments

Eugene Husak June 9, 2020

Hello!

I liked the new ui, and started getting used to it.
All was good, till today.

Seems like, you've rolled out this change:

Single-file-mode for Big PRs

And now, i have only one file visible on the page with message

To view another file, use the file tree in the right sidebar or navigational buttons in the header. 

Personally i found this as a big disappointment, cause it is very hard for me to navigate through the code changes when i need to manually click on each file

Can you add an option to disable that, please?
So the view will be as previous, all files on one page
you don't need to load all of them, they all can be collapsed
and then if i want to expand them - i will just click
and if diff is too big - you functionality you have already

Maybe i am missing something
Looking forward to your answer, thanks!

jarredc
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2020

thanks for the follow up, @Eugene Husak

Right now single-file-mode is a way for us to improve handling really large PRs, but we're circling back to start virtualizing the diffs so that it is no longer necessary to only show a single file at a time. 

niallmuldoon June 13, 2020

Hi,

I just tried to create a PR for a branch and am being told:
Capture.PNG

The PR only has 186 changed files. I am working on a small Unity project so half of those files are meta files.

The command it asks me to run... it's really not a very useful or user friendly way of doing things.

If you can't commit to being able to load PRs of an arbitrary size in one go then I would suggest a Load More button or a paginated approach.

This is huge blocker.

Thanks,

Niall

Jon June 19, 2020

I'm guessing this is a bug.  I can't imagine BB would say "we can't help you - use a different product".  I've created PRs for branches that have a fair number of files.

I agree w/ being able to handle arbitrary sizes and load things a bit at a time.  Otherwise BB wouldn't be suitable for business use.

jarredc
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2020

There are a few different reasons these bugs are appearing, and we've been picking them off one by one over the last couple of months. The biggest remaining cause is simply that the PR itself is so large that we're not able to process the entire thing on the backend before it times out. If you're still seeing this issue, can you please reach out to our support team so that we add it's cause to the list of known issues we're working on?

niallmuldoon January 25, 2021

Hi @jarredc,

Hitting this again today with a large PR :(

When is the old experience going offline?

Thanks,

Niall

kaushal.singh June 18, 2020

In Old UI, It shows who is viewing the PR which I didn't found in the New UI. Also if the person view comments something, it comes as a small notification on the icon of the current viewing person, which on clicking scrolls to the comment directly. This is a very useful feature especially when the PR is too long. Is it going to be brought to the New UI?

Jon June 19, 2020

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the "who's viewing this" feature wasn't something they planned on bringing to the new UI (though that may be faulty memory on my part, or may have changed). 

You bring up a good point though.  It did also have the benefit of having a live view of new comments. If I remember correctly from the last time I tried the new UI (several months ago) the activity cart on the sidebar wasn't live and you'd have to refresh the page to see new activity.  If this is the case, there's a lot more being lost than just who's currently viewing the PR.  I agree about the usefulness of clicking the comments to scroll to them.  That is buggy in the old UI (sometimes it magically kicks you over to the Activity tab), but very useful when it worked.

edit: it looks like the activity is updating real-time now.  woot!

jarredc
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2020

We do hear a bit about this issue, and are considering bringing it forward, but we've got some other known asks that appear to be more common (like improvements to status, improvements to the file tree, scrolling on the sidebar, etc) that we're going to tackle first. 

Like Jon likes this
niallmuldoon June 21, 2020

Have just gone to do my second PR with the new single file system and hitting a new bug.

It''s showing empty diffs when there are real (non-whitespace) diffs.

I have sent you guys a screenshot of the actual diff and the PR showing the empty diff via the feedback. Hopefully you can get this fixed soon as it's another major blocker.

EmptyDiff2.PNGI am also being forced into the single file system due to the size of my PR (it's 121 files, half again are just Unity's meta files)

LargePR.PNG

Edit: Just tried using the Legacy PR System to view the same PR and that is also showing me there are no diffs on files that 100% do have diffs. So it seems to be a bigger problem as it's hitting more than just the new PR Experience or viewing single files.

Drilling into the commits does show the diff for the files correctly. I have also checked all subsequent commits in the branch to check for any of these file's changes being undone and haven't found anything.

Jon July 6, 2020

I'm having trouble with the scrolling of the Activity card.  When there's more than a trivial amount of content in it, I'm unable to scroll easily.  If there were a scrollbar or other affordance to make it easy to scroll quickly to any point in the list, that would help a lot.

The vertical scrollbar appears to only work on the page itself, so I have to mouse over the card and sit and scroll for quite a while.  There's also no visual indicator of how far I've scrolled, so I don't know where in the list I am.  A scroll affordance that appears when scrolling and disappears shortly thereafter (but which could be dragged with the mouse to quickly get to any point in the content) would be extremely useful.

Also, the Activity filter UI not being sticky means that with more than a screen's worth of content, if you've scrolled down and want to filter, you have to scroll all the way back up to use it (and then scroll down again to find whatever you're after).  It would be nice if there were a way to access the filter without having to be at the top of the card.

Jon September 9, 2020

@jarredc thoughts on the scrolling issues?

jarredc
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2020

Hey Jon, I share your annoyance with this sidebar scrolling issue. Really like the suggestions about making the activity feed filter sticky, we haven't discussed that. 

To make life a little easier for everyone, I think we're going to add tabs back to the sidebar, which allow you to move between the file tree, the activity feed, and the rest of the meta data, so that context switching is faster. That work was finally just agreed on, and the team should be starting it in the next week or two. 

Like J likes this
J January 27, 2021

@jarredc I usually want to see the files list first, but definitely use the other two tabs often.  Could a keyboard shortcut be added to switch tabs?  That would be immensely helpful.

Jon October 18, 2021

@jarredc any update on the scrolling issue?  I really like the 3 tabs at the top, which helps some.  But on the Activity tab itself, once there are more comments than will fit in the viewport vertically (about 4 or 5 comments on my desktop monitor), this is still an issue.

Without a scroll indicator, there's no way to see where you are in the list, and without a draggable scrollbar, there's no way to quickly get to the top or bottom of a long list.

It seems the solution is pretty straightforward (UI wise, if not implementation wise).  The vertical scrollbar that's currently present applies only to the main portion of the screen, and should be proximate to it (to the right of it, immediately to the left of the tabbed details/files/activity column).  This would make place for a vertical scrollbar proximate to the tabbed column itself, and avoid two side-by-side vertical scrollbars (which is never good UI).

In fact, this is exactly how the Jira issue view works already: a vertical scrollbar for the main area, and one for the right-hand column. When either area is shorter than the viewport, the scrollbar for that area isn't present, which is appropriate.

This seems to be a pretty common UI design pattern when dealing with split views/panes - each has its own scrollbar on the right.

Jon March 16, 2022

@Tyler T @Alastair Wilkes @jarredc 

Just wanted to check if these comments are still visited by/responded to by the Atlassian Team.  Usually the response here has been pretty good, but I haven't seen any replies to this issue.

I'm personally running into issues with the Give Feedback button in PRs (Details tab at the bottom).  When I click it, it shows a spinner for about a second, then it goes away.  I see no JS errors or network tab activity and have tried with all extensions disabled.  Without that, there's no way other than these comments to provide feedback that I'm aware of.

Tyler T
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2022

Hi @Jon , sorry you are experiencing this issue. I'm unable to reproduce it using Chrome on a Mac. I no longer work on the Bitbucket team but have passed along your comment regarding the Give Feedback modal.

If you create a public issue the team can triage and track it on the public Jira: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD

Like Jon likes this
Jon March 16, 2022

Awesome - thank you

Jon January 12, 2023

The Give Feedback modal now seems to be working, so I've re-submitted the scrolling issues there.

I tried creating an issue at the jira link above, but it looks like it steers you eventually back to the Give Feedback features in the individual products and that creating issues in jira is only for Atlassian people (which is fine, though the Give Feedback seems to be less vendor-customer dialog friendly).

Can anyone on the BitBucket team who may be monitoring the comments on this post speak to whether this is still a channel of 2-way communication between the team and customers?  If no reply is given w/in a week or so, I think we can assume it's been quietly retired as such and to stick to the Give Feedback feature and hope those comments are seen.

Robert Parker July 6, 2020

Hey Atlassian, can you please stop showing me HUGE BANNERS TELLING ME ABOUT THE NEW PULL REQUEST EXPERIENCE IN BRIGHT COLORS AND LARGE FONTS until you actually put out a quality product???

What could have possibly compelled you to put out such a half-baked, dysfunctional piece of software as this, with fewer features than what already existed, various bugs, and did I mention the missing features? Who is the Product Manager responsible for making this decision? Why did you not just make improvements to what existed, and worked for the most part? Why do you insist on abusing your users this way?

I know you're a big leviathan of a company, but there are surely a decent number of competent people on your team that should have blown the whistle on this boondoggle.

Incomprehensible decisions like this are why I now resent being stuck on Bitbucket, and wish we had fully migrated to Github like we planned to at one point, but now we're stuck at your mercy, and this is what you come out with.

Please reconsider this new pull request experience. It's been years in the making and continues to be an inferior product, maybe it's time to pull the plug? Just remember that you should avoid making future decisions based on the sunk cost fallacy, you still have the choice to kill this new PR interface off, so make the right decision.

Like # people like this
joelcardinal July 6, 2020

Agree, kill it with fire.  There's nothing about the change that's an improvement and noted in this thread some major issues.  Fortunately, unlike poor Robert here, we are in a position to change vendors if BB pushes this through. 

I only have two issues with the current "original" PR experience:

• kills my Mac on large PR's making the fans spin up to compete with a 747
  • I have to manually use a query (e.g. ?ts=4) to normalize file indentation -- yes we should be linting...but having a config on repos or a dynamic input on the PR page to set this would be fantastic
Like # people like this
Jon July 6, 2020

I disagree and believe the new experience has a lot of promise.  I recently switched back to it (tried it before when it was even less baked than it is now) because a huge PR w/ many comments in the old experience just... wouldn't ever load.

The new experience may be lacking some features, but it has been steadily gaining some that were previously missing.  It also has some features that the old one didn't have (collapsible sticky headers, a file list that could be viewed alongside code rather than having it stuck near the top of one long page you'd have to scroll aaaaall the way back up to just to use what is essentially navigation).

True, it has a fair distance to go before it crosses the finish line.  I've posted a number of things that are pretty glaring in this comment section. And once I'm done with my current review, I'll be switching back to the old one until it is more fully-baked (or until it's foisted on us and the old one taken away).  Love me some Refined Bitbucket extension. :)

But the team has also greatly increased their responsiveness after the project management changeup, and having someone listen to their customers and demonstrate it's not just lip service by acting on the feedback is always heartening.

Have to agree about the banner though lol.  Maybe they just need more people hitting it.

Jon September 14, 2020

Having a small issue with the activity feed:

I pushed a commit 5 days ago, and then have pushed other commits since then, the most recent of which was about 15 minutes ago.  The item in the activity feed says:

Updated the pull request with 6 commits

<lists commit hashes here as links>

Jon - 5 days ago

While partially true, my coworkers reviewing were confused, thinking I hadn't committed anything more recently than 5 days ago.

Is there a way to have that bottom part include both the earliest and latest times it covers?  Maybe something like `5 days ago to 15 minutes ago`

djb December 14, 2020

Two features I would like see fixed:

1. When the PR has been updated (i.e. a reviewer has approved it, or someone pushed an update), the page pops up a window letting me refresh the PR page. But it only refreshes the interior, not the build status. We have Jenkins builds which we trigger from BitBucket build, and we have branch permissions so we can only merge on a clean build. Using this refresh operation is insufficient - the page needs to refresh the build info as well so BB can enable the Merge button if all merge prerequisites are met.
  2. in the build section in the right panel, there is an icon next to the build which looks like. refresh icon:

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 11.35.04 AM.png

But it does not do what it implies - it is not an action button and it does not refresh the build status. Either use an icon that looks like a static build icon, or let me click that icon to refresh the status of the build. At present, I have to refresh the entire page -- which takes several seconds -- to see if the build has completed and whether it passed or not.

Lucas Amaral January 25, 2021

The new PR experience does not load mildly large files, this is TERRIBLE experience and a missing feature that my team will need before we are forced to migrate. I have written this in the feedback forms 100s of times, since the first time this beta testing started, but attlassian just ignored.

Can you please answer:

* When will you allow large files to be viewed in this new PR experience?

* How can I stay in the old PR page until this is fixed?

Like # people like this
J January 27, 2021

There is (or at least was last I looked) a way on the Labs page to switch off any experiment, including the new PR experience.  This may or may not apply depending on whether you're on Cloud or not, but I've been able to use it when necessary to use the old version.

Deleted user February 17, 2021

Sadly we are now forced to use this view, as of 2/15. Clearly they did not test this new view with larger codebases, as it's REALLY annoying with long files names, long file names, etc...

Nick St Pierre February 17, 2021

I have this same exact problem. The team I work on is constantly adding and editing large files and I can no longer leave in-line comments because the diff won't even load. I have to leave comments on the main comment section of the PR specifying the file and line number whenever I find any issues in a PR. To say this is a massive inconvenience is an understatement. How could this have been shipped with such a huge oversight?

J February 17, 2021

@jarredc  Perhaps the old experience could be made available still for a short while, but leave everyone set to the new one by default. 

When switching off the new experience in Labs, require input stating what the reason is.  Once all feedback representing "this keeps me from working" items are fixed, then the rest who switched to the old because of things like familiarity/preference could be reasonably moved over and the plug pulled once more. 

Like Tim Pommer Dybdahl likes this
J January 27, 2021

The header that becomes sticky (the one with the Request Changes and Approve buttons on the right) when you scroll down used to have the branch name and PR destination (and merge status) shown on the left side of the header.  That was very useful.

For me that's disappeared now so that I have to scroll all the way back to the top to be reminded of the branch name I'm looking at.  Sometimes I have multiple PRs open at a time, and the at-a-glance keeps the workflow from being interrupted, as I don't have to sacrifice scroll position to know what I'm looking at.

Can that be brought back?  "plz", as the kids say :)

Jon October 18, 2021

It looks like this has been fixed.  Thanks!

clement.moron February 3, 2021

Emoji length is counted wrong, when editing a PR the cursor jumps around one or two forward if they are emoji on the line. This is a known bug on most platforms, even twitter had it, but please, they fixed it 6 years ago...

Deleted user February 17, 2021

Can we have the old PR view back?

I tried the new view for a month or so and it's cluttered and hard to navigate. Specially not friendly on laptop-size screen (standard 15"). If needed I can provide a list of why it's hard to use.

Like Luke Goodsell likes this
Nick St Pierre February 17, 2021

Do you plan on increasing the render size or somehow allowing users to define the upper limit? I am constantly adding/editing large files on my project and the new PR experience is practically unusable for me.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.17.08 AM.png

Tim Pommer Dybdahl February 17, 2021

The new exprience is a somewhat mixed bag. On one hand I like the new Details pane, and the Files pane is even half decent.

But the Activity pane unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired to a point where it is completely useless.

You can only see the latest reply on a comment, but the comment itself is not shown, meaning you have to click every single one of them to see what is being responded to. And this only works if the file is still part of the PR.

On top of that the "see whats changed" link next to approvals have now dissapeared, making it even harder to stay on top of what has changed since the last time you looked.

I like the fact that you are now able to mark that you have seen a PR but not approved it through the use of "Request Chagnes". But since you can't "see whats changed", it is pretty useless compared to just adding tasks to the PR.

Sanjeewa Fonseka February 23, 2021

i want the ability to switch back to old view

Like # people like this
Edem February 25, 2021

The new layout made the "merge" action hidden behind the ... button. This is a very bad UX experience, since the merge action is the single most important button on the page, and now it's hidden behind extra clicks. Please put the "merge" action back on top - even if that means the "request changes" button has to go.

Jon October 18, 2021

In the right hand column, at the bottom of the Details tab there is a "Give feedback" button.  When I click it, a spinner appears in the button for a second or two, then disappears.  Nothing else happens.  Hoping that posting here is still a way to communicate to the dev team.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events