Try out the new Bitbucket Cloud pull request experience today!

Viewing page 3 of 4

92 comments

Joao Squillace Teixeira June 28, 2019

Wondering why adding tasks are not a priority for this new pull request experience. It keeps pushing us to switch, but tasks are one essential part of my company's PR review. I tried to switch a bunch of times, but always end up coming back to the old version for this reason mainly

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2019

Hi Joao,

For now, we're only rolling out to customers who don't use features we haven't added back yet. We plan to add task support soon.

If the new UI was enabled for your team, but your team regularly uses tasks, let us know your team's ID via a support ticket (https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud) so we can take a closer look at why that happened.

Thanks!

Alastair

Jon June 28, 2019

If a comment is added on a file that was changed and then the change itself is later reverted, there's no net change in the file, so it doesn't appear in the PR.  However, the comment itself still appears in the Activity card (appropriate, since it happened).  However, clicking the link for it causes the whole page to error.

In the old experience, the comment itself is displayed in the Activity tab, in code context (e.g. the code as it was when it was commented on) with the elipses to expand the context. 

This is very important so we know the full discussion around the change and the decision to revert.  For now, it's at least not lost (that is, if it errors I can switch off the new experience and see the comment). 

Can you make it so we can still see the comment and the code context at time of comment?

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2019

Hi @Jon 

Thanks for the report. We're aware that comments are not visible/actionable in this case and are working on a resolution.

Thanks,

Alastair

Like Jon likes this
Ed Lomonaco July 1, 2019

the file list on the right should scroll a little better with a long PR. oftentimes I'll see that the right list if following where I'm at but I have to scroll that side to see it.

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Edward!

Jon July 22, 2019

On the old experience it would show the avatar of any other users currently viewing the PR.  This is very handy as I can see if my reviewers on an urgent PR are looking at it or if I need to talk to them about whether they're aware/available.  This is a very handy feature, and has other collaboration benefits for our team as well.  Will it be preserved?

Like Jiri Hana likes this
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2019

At this time, we don't plan to bring back that feature, but we may reconsider it in the future.

Jon August 9, 2019

Gotcha.  One of the nice things about it was it would show real-time a number badge for new comments made by the person.  If the Activity card could update real-time with added comments from other users, that would be very handy.

Sam Debruyn July 23, 2019

Useless without tasks...

Maxim Leonov July 24, 2019

A comment made on a non-changed line (e.g. a line not modified in the current code review) cannot be accessed via links in the Activity Tab.

To reproduce:

1. Expand diff viewer on a source file file to reveal a non-modified line (by clicking on Annotation 2019-07-25 124519.jpg a few times)
  2. Make a comment on a line of code which you just revealed
  3. Refresh the page (to reset the diff view with revealed lines)
  4. Clicking on the new comment link in the Activity Tab will not jump to and focus on the comment
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2019

Hi Maxim,

We're taking a look at this. Thank you for the report.

Alastair

Jon August 7, 2019

Recently when I go to add comments on a PR, it says "Sending" for a few seconds (which is fine).  But while it's sending, it appears to block the main thread.  Mouseovers, scrolling, clicking - all are suspended until it finishes saving.  Can the page remain responsive while it's doing its ajax work?

As a side note, this is on a rather large-ish PR, so maybe it's not the save, per se, but a re-render of the whole page or some other overly expensive thing when only the one comment box UI needs re-rendering.  Dunno.

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2019

Thank you for the feedback -- we'll take a look at this.

Like Jon likes this
Jon August 7, 2019

The editor uses curly quotes when I type quotes characters.  In probably 99% of cases, developers would want regular quotes, I'm guessing.  Can that be changed?  I find myself typing in quotes as part of code frequently and then a copy paste by another developer of that same bit of code is invalid (sometimes without their noticing it).

I see that regular quotes are used when the text is already identified as code (either inline with backticks or in a code block inserted with the <> icon in the editor toolbar), but usually I type the opening backtick, type some code (which ends up picking up curly quotes) and then type the final backtick which ends up turning the sequence into a monospace inline code block, but keeps the quotes curly.

Also, sometimes I'm plumb lazy and type bits of code in comments without bothering with backticks or code blocks at all.  Either way, we're all coders here and probably are never going for "fancy looking text" over code.

Sorry for the bit of a rant :)

Deleted user August 7, 2019

Jon, you may be interested in this issue ~ Please keep the Markdown editor

Like Jon likes this
Jon August 8, 2019

Awesome.  I reposted my comment there.  For some reason it hadn't occurred to me the editor and the new PR experience were rather separate things.  It does seem like it's currently more of a "takes some inspiration from markdown" editor.  I trust they'll get it usable before rolling out the new PR experience across the board.  For now I've switched both off so I can get stuff done. (I'm sure they've heard enough from me by now about the new PR experience :)

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Jon. We'll take another look at the "smart quote" behavior.

Like Jon likes this
Jon August 9, 2019

Thank you!  Having a key on the keyboard produce the same character consistently will be super helpful.

Jon July 2, 2020

Any update on being able to have consistent normal quotes?

J February 17, 2021

@jarredc is this issue something being considered?  I'm still experiencing it and would love to have it resolved if possible.

Rutvik Kanbargi September 9, 2019

The new PR view is really good. Much more clean and easy to use.

But we are missing task feature in the PR. Some of my colleagues are using old PR view to create task. In a new PR view I am not able to mark them after completing these task. Because of that I need to switch back again to old PR view. Can you please tell us approximately, when we expect task feature to be included in new PR view thanks.

Angelo Loria September 19, 2019

Agreed, the lack of tasks is extremely frustrating. 

jarredc
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2020

Coming soon!

Angelo Loria September 19, 2019

It's been a year. When will this be rolled out? Please don't drag it out over two years like the 'new' issue view in Jira. It's not a good user experience getting pestered by banners asking to try the new experience for years. Some team members are still ending up in the new view while others have the old view. It's a mess.

François JEAN September 21, 2019

Hello,

this feature seems very interesting, is there a plan to add in Bitbucket Server?

regards,

François

Charles_Soetan September 27, 2019

1. Are there plans to allow commenting in the side by side view?

2. Will be really great if while I review, add all my comments without publishing it and when done reviewing I click publish.

3. I'll love to be able to minimize comments to get them out of the way while reviewing. Its distracting to have comments sprinkled within the code at all times

Like Nick likes this
Andrii Los October 1, 2019

Where is syntax highlighting? This is the most needed feature out there...

Like Maciej_Dulkiewicz likes this
jarredc
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2020

This is near the top of our list!

Qiniso October 2, 2019

I like the overview/commits tabs on the old view

Jon October 21, 2019

When I open an individual commit I can click an Approve/Unapprove button in the top right corner.

When I then view the PR and expand the Commits section (below comments and above the code), it shows the commits, but doesn't show the usual checkmark next to the approved commits.  I use this to keep track of which commits I've looked at and which I still need to look at.  Is this still supported?

Rani Jaiswal
Atlassian Team
October 21, 2019

Hey Jon, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve made a ticket in our backlog to address this, as it certainly is a feature we want to continue supporting. Thanks again!

J February 17, 2021

@Rani Jaiswal any word on whether this is still in the pipeline?

David Pelletier November 20, 2019

Still no task support ?

Are you planning to move on something lilke gitlab ("resolve discussion" instead of using a "task")

jarredc
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2020

Tasks will be launched as they work on the old PR experience in 1.5 weeks :) 

We will eventually move towards resolvable discussions, but its months away. 

Like Jon likes this
Jon January 9, 2020

Love that this is progressing.

I'm seeing a Tasks card on the right-hand side now which lists existing tasks.  However, in the old experience the tasks were attached to comments.  In the new experience, those tasks no longer show up attached to the comments they were added to, so all I see is a list of tasks, each with text like:

• Done
  • Done
  • Done
  • Fixed
  • keep this
  • Done

Out of context, the tasks are not much use.  Will "as they work on the old PR experience in 1.5 weeks" include this association between tasks and the comments they belong to?

Related question: will task creation and completion be events that show up in the Activity feed?  That could be handy (though if it's so much extra clutter, perhaps a toggle to include/exclude these in the feed would be handy; for that matter toggles for all the types of events in the activity feed would be nice).

Jon July 2, 2020

update: there now is a link icon that jumps you to the task itself.  woot! thanks

djb December 10, 2019

Can we change the color of the Merge button ? In the old experience, it is colored when all the policies allow a merge; in the new experience, it is back on light grey and it feels "disabled" even if it is enabled. (Huh - the button is blue on the modal dialog --- inconsistent)

I'd also like a nice green indicator instead of just text "1 of 1 passed" -- the green color allows confirmation with a quick glance or even peripheral vision without having to actually read the status.

Finally, the Approve button remains active (through also just black text on grey) after merging.

Christof Wollenhaupt December 11, 2019

I must be missing something very obvious: How do add a comment for a code line?

Atlassian has surely not removed the two single most relevant features that distinguishes a pull request in BitBucket from just discussing a pull request on Slack: Comments and Tasks?

Deleted user December 12, 2019

The click area is much much smaller in the new version ! Try hovering on the vertical line.

Christof Wollenhaupt December 13, 2019

Thank you!

This is counterintuitive, especially as the position moved from left of the line numbers to right of the line numbers. We also lose the ability to move a comment plus there are now dialogboxes that appear at the top area of the screen.

sgautrin December 12, 2019

Well, as time passes, I'm feeling more and more frustrated every day with the new PR experience and the lack of meaningful evolution to it.

* still no tasks support (huge regression) -- edit: just noticed it has been added, although with a UX even worse than in the old experience; indeed, in the old experience, you could select text from your comment before clicking “create task” and it would create the task with the selected text, and this does not work in the new experience; additionally, as tasks were previously created from a comment, they would have context, now in the new experience it does not seem to be the case (I have not tested it yet though, will do in the following days)

* still no resolvable comment chain support (which should have been the feature years ago instead of tasks in the first place)

* still no proper activity view: I frequently have to go back to old experience's activity tab to actually see what happened, and get a quick view of previous comments to see if they have actually been adressed and if so if they have been adressed properly (well, even to see if there's been an answer without having to go lookup in my mail notifications) - huge regression as well

And then, still no proper support for “PR versions”, i.e. being able to see what changed (commits, diff) between two specific updates.

Before the new PR experience beta a year ago, Bitbucket was already years behind any meaningful competitors, including the then VSTS from Microsoft (now Azure Devops), let alone older competitors like Github or Gitlab; and that's both feature wise AND UX wise.

Now, over a year after it came out in beta, the new PR experience manages to lag behind the old PR experience.

With you guys dropping the only thing you had that competitors did not have (mercurial support), it might be a good idea to try an catchup with your competitors feature-wise, instead of going backwards, don't you think?

jarredc
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2020

Hey @sgautrin 

Sorry to hear that you're still feeling like this new experience is trailing the old one. We're working hard, and as the PM taking over from @Alastair Wilkes , I'm constantly reviewing our feedback channels to prioritize what will have the biggest impact. 

We're going to be finishing the Tasks functionality in the next two weeks so that tasks can continue to be associated with specific comments.  Our team's priority for the next dev cycle is ongoing usability improvements to existing functionality, launching 'Request's Changes' as a reviewer status, and before long, syntax highlighting. 

We'd like to move to resolvable comments before long, but it will involve some other dependencies being completed first.

Feel free to email me directly if you have any more feedback you want to share, jcolli2@atlassian.com.

Cheers,

Jarred

djb December 19, 2019

The build status panel at the top right has a "refresh" icon,

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 1.43.21 PM.png

but this does not refresh the build status; clicking anywhere in the  box simple expands/collapses the build status details. This is annoying when

1. The build is still running when I open the page

2. The build failed and then I update the PR externally and a new build gets triggered; this status line is obsolete and does not reflect the most recent build.

Please allow clicking on the recycle icon to refresh the build status without having to refresh the entire page. If that is not possible, use something that just indicates "build" (such as a Jenkins or other CI tool logo that is being used) or just remove the misleading refresh icon.

jarredc
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2020

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look at this!

Like djb likes this
djb January 13, 2020

The new experience pops up a message telling me that the PR has been updated; it includes a link to refresh the page. I refresh using that link and then a few seconds later, I get the same popup, but nothing has changed. There is no new Activity, and the build result has not changed. This has happened on many PRs - usually it is a relatively new PR, but sometimes it is after a reviewer comment or approval or new commit. It's a little annoying, so I just click the (x) close icon on the popup.

Dawid Konczak February 27, 2020

New feature lacks possibility to view if somebody is looking at your pull request. The old version had it and it was very helpful.

Matteo Ferrando April 3, 2020

Merge checks don't specify why they are not passing. This makes me go back to the old experience.

Matt d'Entremont April 3, 2020

We finally have approval to switch to a different platform, good luck all!

Collin Peters April 16, 2020

The new PR experience doesn't handle tables as well as the old. The new tables all have columns that are equal width, rather than adjusting the widths according to the content. The results in a rather bad look when you have a lot of text in just one column and just a word or two in another.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events