You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.
We are a small team working on a project, that uses come components developed by other teams. We have a Git repository on Bitbucket Server (self-hosted) and would like to incorporate external components in it, but keep them up-to-date.
The default solution for this task seems to be Git Submodules. But after working with them for a while, we discovered a few setbacks. I would like to ask the community, whether there's a better solution, or just we're doing it all wrong?
1. I would like to know when the external repository (that is a submodule to my home repository) is updated by the team, that works on it.
What happens now is that I might push the code to my home repository without knowing that the external component has been updated and is not incompatible with my code.
2. I would like to pull external repository updates together with my home repository updates. This seems to be doable in CLI, but not in SourceTree.
3. If I changed something in the external component, I would like to push these changes together with the ones I made to my home repository.
Now I have to switch between repositories and make several commits.
4. When I pull changes from an external repository, I have to make a new commit to my home repository, updating the submodules descriptor file.
Why can't this be done automatically?
5. I would like to include in my project certain folders from the external repository, not all of it. Sometimes the external repository is too large.
6. Basically, I would like to have a part of an external repository as a part of my home one, not another repository nested within it. That means I would like to see all my commits in the same tree because, whether I update my own code or the external component, it's still part of the work on the same project.
Any insights, please?