Separate 2FA for Atlassian vs. BitBucket

mdgmichael July 28, 2020

Hi! I was curious how people feel about the fact that we have separate two-factor authentication steps for both our Atlassian accounts and our BitBucket sub-accounts. It's not clear to me whether this is an intentional policy, or just a vestigial schism from before Atlassian implemented their cross-product SSO. On one hand, I suppose I shouldn't complain about anything that improves account security, which this technically does. On the other hand, it kind of undermines the purpose of SSO & having an integrated account, and it also adds to the chronic difficulty of managing multiple accounts.

I do realize I could simply turn off 2FA on the BitBucket side. This isn't a support question, I'd just like to understand Atlassian’s intention & ultimate goals for account security and authentication.

2 comments

ctammes October 10, 2020

I have the same 'problem', I don't think there is any need in entering a OTP code twice. If I login into Bitbucket with my Bitbucket credentials, I would think that my Bitbucket OTP will be sufficient.

ruben_1982 April 13, 2023

Why two OTP codes for one platform. It is very confusing and not user friendly. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events