Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer Review without Pull Request Merge

Benjamin Paz June 22, 2017

Our team is transitioning to a pristine master branch approach. Essentially, we are using the feature branch workflow.  Only fast forward merges will be applied on master and those will be via Bamboo.

Currently, pull requests are designed to support a merge but we only want the request for peer review. Not to do a merge. There are many checks accompished by the CI tool chain that are reviewed automatically. We cannot use the CI tool chain verification steps as a gate to a peer review as this review is to examine the design and not a finished feature or bug fix.

I have experience with other integrated solutions besides Atlassian tool suite. Is there an approach with the toolset that accomplishes the goal.

1 comment

Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2017

Are you on Bitbucket Server (the self-hosted on-premises version) or Bitbucket Cloud?  They can be quite different in subtle ways.

If you want to disable all merges to master EXCEPT for a special bamboo service-account, you can use Bitbucket Branch Permissions (repository --> settings --> branch permissions).

I believe you can use the REST api to detect if a pull-request has been accepted by one or more reviewers.

If you're using Bitbucket Server, you might also find my paid add-on helpful: Bit-Booster Rebase / Squash for Bitbucket

In particular the "Bit-Booster Require Fast-Forwards Hook" will help ensure users rebase before merging.   Screenshot:

hooks.png

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events