Merge strategies and/or Branch modeling with current workflow

Deleted user January 5, 2018

I'm new to Bitbucket Server, and I'm trying to determine the proper settings to apply to work well with our internal workflow.

We currently use a master branch for production, and a test branch for user acceptance.  When projects come in we create a new branch from the master, say Project 1.  When we have the code change ready, we do a pull request into the test branch.  Then when the users give the go ahead, we do a pull request into the master.  This seems to work well most of the time, but we have ran into instances where old changes show up in new branches.

Branch Structure.png

From what I gather all of our project branches & the test branch should be ahead of the master or at the same commit for this to work smoothly.  We currently aren't using the Branch Modeling feature, and we have the Merge Strategy set to the default (Merge commit).

Any advice on how we should configure Bitbucket would be much appreciated.

1 comment

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2018

Hi Anthony! Looks like it might be a good idea for you to adopt the  Feature Branch Workflow. 

However, there might be different approaches or opinions regarding your question, so I'll move this post to the discussions section to allow other users to chip in with their ideas. 

Hope this helps!

Ana

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events