It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Improvements to deployments

Hi there,

currently I configure my pipeline and I found several issues while working with the deployment feature. Here's what:

Why is it not possible to mark a parallel step as a deployment?

I have one step to build my project (composer install) and then two following parallel steps:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-13 um 10.38.59.png

I run them in parallel to save time. mortimer is a test stage and it takes a while to provision it, deploy the app and run the tests. So it is a deployment to test and it should be marked as such.

It is even your recommendation to run tests in parallel. Now, UI tests do not run in a black hole, but most of the time you need to spin up some environment and deploy the application there. I don't see why this cannot be part of a parallel step?

Why is it not possible to mark two steps as deployment to the same stage (e.g. staging)?

I have (at least) two staging servers where I want to have the possibility to manually test and review feature branches in isolation. How can I implement this in bitbucket pipelines? What I tried is to mark the two staging deployment steps as trigger: manual. This does not work as:

a) bitbucket restricts the deployment: staging flag to one occurence per pipeline(?)

b) bitbucket would not let me skip one step

It is definitely possible to skip a step in gitlab. For a scenario where I want to trigger manual deployments through the pipeline (which is quite common), this is a must. 

Could you please help me figure out how I can achieve my vision of our pipeline setup or how to work around this?

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Powering DevOps with Bitbucket Server & Data Center

Hi everyone, The Cloud team recently announced 12 new DevOps features that help developers ship better code, faster   ! While we’re all excited about the new improvements to Bitbucket ...

1,519 views 0 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you