Fixing SSH for git on Mac OSX

A while back I setup my git repo to connect using ssh and rsa keys using the instructions listed here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/set-up-ssh-for-git-728138079.html

After taking several months off from my project, I returned to find that I was now being prompted for my passphrase for the ssh key. I double checked the steps on that help page, and everything seemed in order, yet I was still prompted for my passphrase.

The issue was that the instructions said in Step 3, "If you are running OSX 10.6.8 or later you can skip this step." Since I was running 10.12.4, I skipped that step. However, it seems that my ssh-agent lost my private key, perhaps when I updated OSX to a newer version. Running "ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa" fixed the issue.

These instructions are great, but might be made slightly clearer by telling all users to execute step 3, just in case.

0 comments

Comment

Community showcase
Published Nov 06, 2018 in Bitbucket

Upgrade Best Practices

Hello! My name is Mark Askew and I am a Premier Support Engineer for products Bitbucket Server/Data Center, Fisheye & Crucible. Today, I want to bring the discussion that Jennifer, Matt, and ...

261 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you