Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elastic search indexing fails with: Failed to recreate index

steven qent June 29, 2019

Bitbucket fails to create index on elastic search. We're using elastic search 7.1.1.

We're aware that atlassian does not recommend elastic search above 6.5.3, but we have a hard limit on our elastic search version of 7.0. 

We see that Bitbucket starts and then fails with

2019-06-29 06:14:06,908 ERROR [Caesium-1-2] c.a.b.i.s.i.IndexingSynchronizationService Failed to create indexes: ''[illegal_argument_exception, illegal_argument_exception, illegal_argument_exception, il$
2019-06-29 06:14:06,908 ERROR [Caesium-1-2] c.a.b.i.s.i.IndexingSynchronizationService Unable to synchronize the mapping in Elasticsearch
com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.search.indexing.exceptions.IndexException: Failed to recreate index: [illegal_argument_exception, illegal_argument_exception, illegal_argument_exception, illegal_argument$
at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.search.indexing.upgrade.UpgradeTaskV3Point0.execute(UpgradeTaskV3Point0.java:52)
at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.search.indexing.upgrade.DefaultUpgradeService.upgrade(DefaultUpgradeService.java:45)
at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.search.indexing.IndexingSynchronizationService.synchronizeMapping(IndexingSynchronizationService.java:112)
at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.search.indexing.IndexingSynchronizationService.synchronizeStores(IndexingSynchronizationService.java:84)
at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.search.indexing.jobs.StartupChecksJob.run(StartupChecksJob.java:80)
at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.search.common.cluster.ClusterJobRunner.runJob(ClusterJobRunner.java:81)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:134)

We're using Bitbucket version : 6.3.0

2 comments

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2019

Hey @steven qent 

There are quite a few documented breaking changes In Elasticsearch 7 (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/breaking-changes-7.0.html#breaking_70_indices_changes) that may be to blame (assuming you’ve validated all your permissions are correct). 

If anyone else has managed to get BB working with ES7, would be interested to know. 

CCM

steven qent June 30, 2019

Thank you Craig. I'm certain that between ES6 and ES7 the index isn't compatible. Which is why we're trying to recreate the entire index. We have no permission related issues. 

Chris lerner December 30, 2019

Was there any resolution to this issue? Having the exact same error show up for Bitbucket 6.9.1 and ElasticSearch 7.5.1

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2019

Hi @Chris lerner 

6.9 doesn’t show as a supported ES version yet either. I’ve lodged a premier support ticket to see when newer ES version support will land. Will update when I hear back.

CCM

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events