Do we really need ascii art in a push response?

Oz Linden June 20, 2017

I've started getting long ascii art responses when I push to my repositories:

remote: adding changesets
remote: adding manifests
remote: adding file changes
remote: added 2 changesets with 2 changes to 2 files
remote: 
remote: ++++                               ++++
remote:   +++++++                     +++++++  
remote:      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++     
remote:          +++++++++++++++++++++         
remote:                 +++++++                
remote:       +++                     +++      
remote:       ++++++     +++++     ++++++      
remote:        ++++++    +++++    ++++++       
remote:        +++++++    +++    +++++++       
remote:         ++++++++   +   ++++++++        
remote:          ++++++++     ++++++++         
remote:            ++++++++ +++++++++          
remote:             +++++++++++++++             
remote:              +++++++++++++              
remote:                +++++++++                
remote:                  +++++++                
remote:               +   +++++++               
remote:              +++   +++++++              
remote:             ++++++  +++++++             
remote:            +++++++   +++++++            
remote:           +++++++     +++++++           
remote:          +++++++       +++++++           

really? why?

22 comments

nicolas-tmv June 20, 2017

Is it a prelude to invasion of my terminal's space?

alexwmccabe June 20, 2017

Honestly this is such a weird response, not entirely sure why I would need this. I've just got one too.

koisch June 20, 2017

I started getting it too this AM ... not a fan.

Can't we just keep it clean?

Or if not clean then customizable ... ?

Jean-Marc Saffroy June 20, 2017

The logo is rainbow-colored, and it seems to be a (annual?) revival of this event:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31081919/atlassian-logo-after-pushing-to-bitbucket

Jimmy Timmermans June 21, 2017

I don't need nor want it. This doesn't seem serious and degrades the image bitbucket has in my eyes. 

Please make these things optional. I had to look up what it ment (thx Jean) and am non to pleased!

What do I care for a decision in a court in a far away place .... I wanna write code!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2017

In general Atlassian supports equality, including the global LGBT population. In solidarity with this people-group, Atlassian adds a few easter eggs to promote their efforts.

In this case, within America (and other places) June is Pride Month, a month dedicated to celebrating LGBT equality and rights. Atlassian is participating in this celebration.

iskra91 June 23, 2017

Absolutely agreed Atlassian's efforts

alexwmccabe June 23, 2017

I support equality for LGBT, but it is irritating getting so much ASCII art in my pushes. 

Christoph Jüngling June 23, 2017

Is this the American way of life to tell all others how to think?

It's good to participate in this LGBT thing, I won't argue that point. But though I honor this way of thinking, I don't need symbols for it. Last of all in my work equipment. This symbol distracts me from my work for at least half an hour, as I assumed to be hacked someway.

Please remove it, or, as Jimmy said, make it optional.

Jimmy Timmermans June 23, 2017

This sais more elegantly what I ment to say.
I did not want to state that I am anti any people, just that it is an annoying distraction. 

rshatfield June 23, 2017

Worthless and self-righteous.  Not to mention insulting.

@scott: Which one?

rshatfield June 23, 2017

@Christoph: Sorry - I was referring to the decision to push ascii art messages down our throat as though it's somehow meaningful and worthwhile.  Hope I didn't get your blood pressure up - not pointing at anyone.  :)

@scott: No offense taken. Thanks, that's why I asked. It's not easy to understand a discussion without threading.

Sean Stephens June 23, 2017

Can we please have the option to not get the ascii art shoved down our throats?  I don't need to see it every time I do a push.

Sean Stephens June 23, 2017

Ok, found the option to disable it in the Account settings.

Christoph Jüngling June 24, 2017

Thanks, got it. Was it already there or did Bitbucket add this just now?

jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2017

It was already there, primarily for CI systems and people using screen readers.

ryanwebbfmg June 19, 2018

Capture.PNGI assume this is the correct setting I need to adjust?

Nicholaus Harris June 19, 2018

I was surprised by today's ASCII art as I had never seen this behavior before, but a quick search brought me here. And now that I understand, I like it! 

Jonathan Tan June 20, 2018

May I suggest an additional line of text before the art begins, saying something like "Atlassian displays the following ASCII art in support of the LGBTQ community".

That would go a long way - in my case anyway - in NOT freaking out that my server has been hacked and I'm getting unexpected messages. 

Chris Venus June 21, 2018

Yes, I agree that some additional text would be helpful. My first thought too was that there was a security issue here and some hacker had tagged bitbucket. Additionally it doesn't even render correctly at all times since for me I was viewing it somewhere that didn't interpret the colour codes (though I recognised what they were at least) and doesn't use a fixed width font so it just looked like a mess on my screen. But yes, some acknowledgement that this is official on the message would be lovely. Also some explanation would be super helpful because even had I seen it properly and known it was official I'd still probably have been a little confused as to why...

D van der Meer June 20, 2018

I just use bitbucket for work and dont wish to be spammed with these statements.

Caleb Bartholomew June 20, 2018

Keep politics out of code, and keep my terminal clean.

D van der Meer June 20, 2018

I Agree!

Ryan Bracken June 20, 2018

+1 

Please, if people see this and are tired of this type of thing let Atlassian know. We are paying for this product and don't need an agenda push when we are trying to do our jobs.

iLude-Ram June 20, 2018

Here Here!

Rick Bross June 21, 2018

+1 - even if I agree with the sentiment, let's keep politics to ourselves at work.

rshatfield June 21, 2018
+1
Steve Logan June 20, 2018

It should probably include a message "This is provided by Atlassian in support of LGBT communities".  I kinda freaked out when I committed this morning and now stopped what I was doing to research it.

Camille Woodthorpe June 21, 2018

Agreed

Sebastian Lutter June 20, 2018

Whats wrong with you atlassian guys? Have you hired a bunch of kids that come up with such useless ideas? Do you think this is funny? This is annoying and breaks any scripted usage that parses the console output.

Have you ever used your own product in production?!?

Like Garen Parham likes this
BD June 20, 2018

Where is the option to deactivate this feature?  I have looked and can not find any setting in my repo controls.

koisch June 20, 2018

https://bitbucket.org/account/user/user_name/

This is the bitbucket settings link ... in my UI, the menu is accessed from the account avatar in the lower left. 

Thanks!

BD June 20, 2018

koisch June 20, 2018

It's not butthurt, and it's not grumpy. It's paying for a service and expecting service. A lot of effort goes into dealing with a tool like this ("parsing the responses", eg), and this flag waving is not helpful. There are other ways to show support that don't impose on the customer. 

BD June 20, 2018

Nick Phillips June 20, 2018

Just spent 30 minutes debugging some automated script that parses the response, this stopped working due to this ASCII art.

Seriously why is this enabled by default?! 

Pich June 21, 2018

Girl you can choose to use microsoft github if you don't like rainbows

Or you can turn it off by going to Bitbucket settings, and unchecking Console messages under Profile.

Nick Phillips June 21, 2018

Disabling console messages causes the PR create/existence response so that also breaks my response parser. 

By all means make the whole website into a rainbow!

I'm using a paid service and the terminal is a tool, a paid one at that! It should be consistent 100% of the time.

Sebastian Lutter June 21, 2018

I guess they never used their own product in production, I guess they don't even know what you mean by parsing the output and why automation using scripts is important.

I can't believe how stupid and narcissistic they act. I have enough of this ego and politics shit, what is next? Advertisements that are distributed using the remote text?!?

iLude-Ram June 21, 2018

Girl you can choose to use microsoft github if you don't like rainbows

This isn't about the message. Its about walking in to someones work area and interfering with their workflow. I don't care if they put rainbow on their website, or talk about supporting things they like on social media. That's what those mediums are for! This API is not the proper place for advocacy especially when it breaks terminals, scripts, and automation's and it just generally too big and obnoxious. 

And please stop trying to claim the moral high ground and belittle anyone who disagrees with this. I could care less what consenting adults do when they are alone. It's none of my business. This is about the fact that it's not a good idea to dump a bunch of unexpected, poorly tested and completely unnecessary output on to the terminal, while people are using a standard API to do productive work on a service that they are paying to have operate in its expected fashion.  And when it's pointed out that the supposed workaround only compounds the issue, there is no explanation or acceptance that this was not the right place to put such a message. It's instead implied that those that disagree must be  doing so for "other" reasons and if the message is removed that it will be because they bowed to some extremist ideologue position. 

Most of us are just developers that are trying to make the world a better place, and I for one would rather be doing that than having to fix something that doesn't need to be broken, and taking time to write out this message. 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2018

Bitbucket.org's official stance is detailed on this closed issue: https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/16537/gay-pride-flag-rainbow-flag-lgbt-movement

Oz Linden June 21, 2018

Come on people... I started this issue and even I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making of it.

If your parsers can't deal with this, then they need work.

Like Pasquale Argenio likes this
Ryan Bracken June 21, 2018

It's the principle of it. Why do they feel the need to push this message on people trying to do their job? We are paying for a service, not to hear their politics. There is a place for that. Put it on a blog or twitter.

Like # people like this
Franklin Peach June 21, 2018

Exactly. I don't care if they support Trump or Obama. Gay or Straight.  Religious or Atheist. keep your politics off my paid services.

Pasquale Argenio May 18, 2020

Uhm, I care. You won't be developing anything soon . . .

Yegor S June 21, 2018

I pushed to a repo and instantly became gay. Thanks Atlassian! 

susan-weborchard June 21, 2018

Yay congrats

Like neil-weborchard likes this
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

Apparently advocating for equal treatment of a people group is political. Who knew!?

Ryan Bracken June 21, 2018

Are you being serious? If so, that is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

iLude-Ram June 21, 2018

politics:  noun - The assumptions or principles relating to or inherent in a sphere, theory, or thing, especially when concerned with power and status in a society.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

Are you being serious? If so, that is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Excellent contribution, thanks.

politics:  noun - The assumptions or principles relating to or inherent in a sphere, theory, or thing, especially when concerned with power and status in a society.

Thank you, I'll let Merriam-Webster know that you'll be taking over their work to add definitions to the web.

iLude-Ram June 21, 2018

Thank you, I'll let Merriam-Webster know that you'll be taking over their work to add definitions to the web.

Whats wrong with the Oxford English Dictionary definition I posted?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/politics

But once again the problem is not the message ( except that the message breaks terminals with its improper color code use ) it's the medium ( a standard API ). 

Your original loaded question does not add to the discussion.  

Franklin Peach June 21, 2018

Your statement is an oxymoronic. The fact that you feel it needs an advocate defines it as political.

D van der Meer June 26, 2018

Politics or not: who cares.

Just post it on a blog or something. Not in my console.

alfredo nevarez June 21, 2018

Ugh.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

I disagree. 

Also:

Rhetorical figure by which contradictory terms are conjoined so as to give point to the statement or expression; the word itself is an illustration of the thing.

Franklin Peach June 22, 2018

Rhetorical figure by which contradictory terms are conjoined so as to give point to the statement or expression; the word itself is an illustration of the thing. 

Now often used loosely to mean "contradiction in terms." 

alfredo nevarez June 22, 2018

How does one deactivate this? I looked in my account settings but couldn't find an option myself.

iLude-Ram June 22, 2018

2018-06-22_13h16_14.pngBe aware that this will disable some other expected notifications as well. 

alfredo nevarez June 25, 2018

Awesome thanks.

Michael Gentry June 24, 2018

I also spent 30 min after questioning something malicious. Wrong place for this imo...

git_ascii.png

alfredo nevarez June 25, 2018

Very annoying. I just turned off my notifications. Will turn back on in July.

Deleted user June 25, 2018

At the very least, could your push response also include an single-line explanation that we didn't connect to the wrong server/get hacked/do something very wrong? Seeing an unexpected banner, without further explanation, left me pretty confused.

And to be clear, I'm bothered by the confusion caused by the way you're spreading this message, not the message itself.

D van der Meer June 27, 2018

The message is stupid anyway.

Some Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Tg people don't want to be put in a box nor carry the LBGT title, nor feel at home in the LBGT "community". All individuals (also hetero) are unique.

This is my opinion, but like I said. The right place to discus that is on a blog. 

To place messages like this in a work environment is just out of place.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events