Cannot merge an approved pull request

Hanntz Fourkijn July 10, 2017

My pull request was approved, but it contained conflicts and when I hit "More information" link after the warning, the following popped up:

This pull request has conflicts. You must resolve the conflicts before you can merge:

Step 1: Fetch the changes (saving the source branch as FETCH_HEAD).

git fetch origin Feature1

Step 2: Checkout the target branch and merge in the changes from the source branch. Resolve conflicts.

git checkout uat
git merge FETCH_HEAD

Step 3: After the merge conflicts are resolved, stage the changes accordingly, commit the changes and push.

git commit
git push origin HEAD

Step 4: The pull request will be updated and marked as merged.

I ran all commands and merged conflicts, but cannot run the last one in #3

When I tried, I got the following error:

remote: Branch refs/heads/uat can only be modified through pull requests.
remote: Check your branch permissions configuration with the project administrator.

What is the correct command to push the merge?

1 comment

Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

There's a few options:

1.  Add your username as a temporary exception to the branch permission (that mandates "all pushes to "uat" must come via pull requests).  Then push.

Then remove your username from the exception (otherwise you will be permanently able to push directly to "uat" which is probably not what you want!).   You need to be a bitbucket admin for your repo to adjust these permissions.

2.  Alternatively, push the resolved state to the original feature branch "Feature1" instead of pushing to "uat".

git push origin HEAD:refs/heads/Feature1

The "merge" button should now work on the PR.  If you have the option to do a "fast-forward" merge, choose that, because it will look cleaner.

(Bitbucket admins can configure your repo to allow fast-forward merges, but that's not the default config).

Hanntz Fourkijn July 10, 2017

#2 worked fabulously! Thx*10^6

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events