Bitbucket pull request merge

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Hi Team,

The situation is...whenever the developer finished his/her development work, developer creates a pull request in bitbucket and adds the reviewer to review it. The reviewer reviews it and provides feedback and approve the pull request.

After approving the pull request, the reviewer merges the pull request and bitbucket uses the reviewer name as the author of the commit.

So my question here is, commit author should be a developer as he/she did the code changes but not a reviewer or the person did the pull request merge.

Thanks in advance.

1 comment

Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 14, 2020

Hi Yogesh

I understand that you need a developer persona to be the author of commits including merge commits. 

My suggestion is to change your workflow and to have the actual author of the PR perform the merge once approvals are given. 

You can add simple merge checks I.e number of required approvals to ensure PRs are not merged before approvals are given. If you have more complex workflow requirements you can use Bitbucket apps that help you define your process and enforce it. Let me know if you have any questions 

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

HI @Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_ 

Thanks for the response.

As per the below articles ...PR merge is the flexibility that can allow different team members who have the write permission for the repository can merge. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/merge-a-pull-request-808488562.html

Also, I have the merge checks, which we are checking all reviewers approval required and the PR merge is done once the reviewer is approved. 

Sometimes the reviewer itself merges the PR, in this case, the commit author should be added as a person who opens the PR (ie. developer) but not the reviewer. 

How I can do this.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events