Bitbucket Notifications are Unusable in their Current State

jheaser March 1, 2021

Has anyone found use for Bitbucket email notifications?  Because I surely have not.  Currently, I have over two thousand unread Bitbucket email notifications.  There is no way to customize notifications in Bitbucket.  That is to say, if a team member mentions me in a pull request, or specifies that I should be the reviewer, this information gets lost in transit as my Bitbucket inbox folder is flooded with thousands of other useless emails.

Honestly, this is a huge hinderance to work.  The absence of notification settings is an absolute blunder, and makes Bitbucket a chore to use in its current state.  My current workflow requires me to continuously refresh my dashboard, waiting for icon updates.  This could easily be solved if Bitbucket implemented a simple notification settings feature.  Has anyone else had the same experience as me?

1 comment

Tyler T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2021

Hi @jheaser and welcome to the Community,

Have you tried updating your notification settings?

https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/notifications/

What type of customization are you looking for?

Like jheaser likes this
jheaser March 2, 2021

From this notification settings page you linked, it allows you one of two things:
- subscribe to a PR
- unsubscribe to a PR

When you subscribe to a PR, you get these following notifications (a subset of what I've received in the last two work days):
- someone has added me as a reviewer to the PR
- someone has commented on the PR
- someone has updated their comment on the PR
- someone has completed a task on the PR
- someone has updated the PR
- someone has approved the PR
- someone has declined the PR
- someone has merged the PR
- probably more that I have not received within the last two days

There is not an ability to filter which of these notifications to receive, so you either receive all, or none.

Our team has many developers, and many PRs get created each day.  As you can imagine, this sends us lots of emails - hundreds a week.  This renders notifications useless, as receiving all notifications is about as useful as receiving none at all.  I would like for the ability to only receive email notifications if, for instance, someone sets my PR to 'Requesting Changes', or maybe when someone @'s me in a comment.  But, this is not available in Bitbucket's current state.

jheaser March 19, 2021

@Tyler T Do you know if there are any plans to update Bitbucket notifications to allow for these use cases?  As I've said, Bitbucket notifications in their current state are unusable, and I miss many mentions and important comments when creating / reviewing PRs due to this.

Thank you!

Tyler T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2021

@jheaser I don't have an exact answer, however the team has a goal to match certain features from Bitbucket Server.

I would recommend following some of these public issues are creating a new one with your specific feedback.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-20188

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-14862

Like jheaser likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events