BitBucket Cloud Web UI Frequently Hanging

Chris Hayes February 22, 2021

Is anyone else experiencing a lot of hanging with the BitBucket Cloud web UI? I use GitHub internally, but working with a client that uses BitBucket Cloud I found the web UI rather aggravating to use with it constantly hanging. Had the page go completely unresponsive at one point too, and this is on a fairly powerful workstation. Anyone use BitBucket internally and know much about this / how to mitigate?

2 comments

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2021

Hi @Chris Hayes ,

1. Are all users in your team experiencing the same issue from the same network?
  2. Does the issue still occur if you access Bitbucket from a different network?
  3. Do you notice this issue with specific pages in Bitbucket only? And/or specific repos?

This may occur with e.g. PR pages with diffs above our limits https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/limits-for-viewing-content-and-diffs/

If this issue is specific to a certain repo, we may need to look into the specific repo.

There is also a possibility this may be related to your ISP's routing to Bitbucket.

There are many possible reasons for this, and we'd need to narrow down possible causes to figure out why this occurs.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Chris Hayes February 26, 2021

1. I'm remote and a co-worker that is also remote has experienced the same issue, and it's only day 2 or 3 of him working on this repo in BitBucket.

2. I haven't tested on another network. I'll try that at some point, but at this point it seems network agnostic considering my co-worker is also experiencing it.

3. I'm just working with a single client repo in BitBucket, everything else I do is GitHub, so I'm unable to compare performance across repos.

I had this issue happen again today and looking at dev console, I'm seeing 502 "Bad Gateway" errors on failed GET XHR content requests. Those requests were to https://bitbucket.org /!api/2.0/repositories/...... (full URL omitted) They failed after ~5.7 seconds.

image (1).png

Chris Hayes February 27, 2021

Happened again today. In this case I'm seeing 200 OK requests, but the requests are all taking 10 seconds or more. It's to the same endpoint mentioned above. This time I am seeing an error in the UI as well.

image (4).png

image (3).png

Looking closer at the requests I think it's the large number of files in our repo that's causing these issues. This repo is for a 3D project that utilizes BitBucket's Git LFS. In this particular case, the requests seem to be for individual file changes when I'm viewing a pull request. One of those requests are below, this one like half-dozen other similar requests, waited about 10 seconds for BitBucket to give a response.

image (5).png

I'm not sure why BitBucket cloud would take so long to give a response. But as far as the UI goes, I know GitHub has a max number of files it'll show on a page, I wonder if BitBucket does similar or ran into trouble trying to show all files changed.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2021

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the info.

If the issue occurs in PRs with a large number of files, this could be the culprit. The limits which are listed in the doc I previously linked are:

A file's diff cannot exceed 2000 changed lines or 102,400 bytes (100 KB) of raw diff data.
The entire diff cannot exceed 8000 changed lines.
The maximum number of files in a single diff is limited to 200.

So, my first question would be whether any of these limits are exceeded.

Even when they are exceeded though, the pull request should load files individually.

I believe we have a limit on the amount of time a request can take and then the request times out, but I think that's certainly more than 5 or 10 seconds.

One thing I can recommend for further investigation is opening a ticket with Bitbucket Cloud support team. The support team will be able to access the repo if there is an open support ticket. You can also attach in the support ticket a HAR file generated when you open a page that has this issue (I wouldn't suggest posting it here, as the file contains sensitive data). Looking at the HAR file and logs from our side, the support team can better determine the root cause of this.

You can open a ticket via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/, in "What can we help you with?" select "Technical issues and bugs" and then Bitbucket Cloud as product. Please mention also the following info in the ticket details:

- If the issue occurs in all pages of the repo, or specific ones
- The URL of one or more pages where you see this issue
- If the issue occurs consistently with that page
- A HAR file generated while loading this page, you can find instructions here

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Chris Hayes March 8, 2021

Hello,

It's hard to get the diff information since BitBucket always errors out before showing any of it. But, mirroring the repo into GitHub, a sample PR that I know doesn't work on BitBucket had ~900 files changes, ~300 additions, ~100 deletions. I don't know the total lines changed, but I expect it's well below the 400 changes. And that would be a more extreme case, I've had issues with almost every PR large and small.

I did try setting "Load files individually" in the PR view settings to force it if it wasn't already, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'll create a ticket as you suggested with more detailed information.

Thanks,

Chris

Like Theodora Boudale likes this
pabramowitsch July 21, 2021

I'm just an individual user, but recently have experienced hanging on all merge and push operations from the cloud UI.  In most cases, the operation succeeds but the UI is still waiting.  When it finally times out the UI does not automatically refresh.  So it looks as if the operation failed,  but when you manually refresh the page, the operation does seem to have completed.   This never used to happen.   Browser is Safari, but have seen the same on FIrefox.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events