Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for setting up & securing a BitBucket Mercurial repo

Ross Goldberg June 1, 2018

What are the best practices for setting up and for securing all aspects of a BitBucket Mercurial repo (hosted on bitbucket.org), including access, ensuring simplified commit histories and branch heads, etc.?

For pushes, can I:

1. Forbid creating more than one head per branch
  2. Forbid commits from users whose user name does not exactly match a BitBucket account, either matching by email address alone, or also including the full name?  Can I restrict the email address (& possibly full name) to that of the approved BitBucket account at the time when that account was authorized  (i.e., the BitBucket account email address and full name cannot have changed)
  3. Require that all commits are digitally signed, either via the Commitsigs extension, or via some other mechanism
  4. Require that all pushed heads build successfully, pass all tests, and conform to formatting / linting standards
  5. Use the ACL extension to allow / deny access to particular users for particular files
  6. Require that no files that match any .hginore patterns are ever committed

Obviously there are other components of setup & security.  It would be great to compile a comprehensive guide.  Other potential practices include:

1. requiring two-factor authentication
  2. requiring ed25519 ssh keys
  3. enabling ssh compression
  4. assigning repos to projects within teams

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events