Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with your Mercurial repos when Bitbucket sunsets support

528 comments

arizzo December 18, 2019

I see there is 1-button support for cloning my Mercurial repo in Sourcetree, why can't you provide similar functionality to migrate to a git repo that saves all of my version history and issues????

I've enjoyed your service and recommended it at my workplace (I got them to use Confluence and Jira but never the move to BitBucket) and I am rewarded with absolutely zero support for migration AND you are getting rid of my repo, with all of their history and tracking? I am moving to GitHub and will no longer be recommending *any* of your services.

Like # people like this
longkas December 19, 2019

Removing hg support is acceptable  but the time windows is very limited,  Bitbucket knows nothing about data is priceless and has no respect to their customers, we are moving out all our repositories to GitHub,  bye bye Bitbucket 

Like # people like this
brent_schiestl December 20, 2019

Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know that we released version 19.3 of Helix TeamHub yesterday which includes new Mercurial features such as code search and support of the edit/commit workflow directly in our UI.  We also made some tweaks to improve performance across the board for Mercurial users.  You can learn more here: https://www.perforce.com/products/helix-teamhub/whats-new-helix-teamhub and you can sign up for a free account to try us out here: https://www.perforce.com/products/helix-teamhub/free-account.  Thanks!

-Brent Schiestl
Senior Product Manager
Perforce Software

Like # people like this
she2_g December 26, 2019

@brent_schiestl I really wanted to give your product a try. However, the fact that I have to request a quote before I can make a decision is frustrating. I am sure you are aware of the fact that there are lots of other competitors out there with their prices available with just a click. Making your pricing info available helps with quick decision making without the need to waste time waiting for a response to pricing request.

For this fact, you are not a good fit!

Like # people like this
Ruslan Berezyuk December 26, 2019

@she2_g Hey, in fact, there is pricing information available: 
https://www.perforce.com/products/helix-teamhub/pricing 

Like # people like this
brent_schiestl December 27, 2019

Hi @she2_g, you only need to request a quote if you are looking at our Enterprise plan.  All Cloud offerings have pricing listed on the site referenced by @Ruslan Berezyuk in the post above.  Hope that clarifies things.  Thank you for your interest and feedback.

Like # people like this
Not For Lemmings, LLC December 27, 2019

I am yet another developer who signed up for BitBucket because of its support for mercurial. As many others have expressed, a single-click button to convert would be awesome, especially if I don't care about the version history (personal projects that I haven't worked on for several years as I've been too busy with my day job). But I decided to bite the bullet and follow the blog article linked to elsewhere on BitBucket (http://arr.gr/blog/2011/10/bitbucket-converting-hg-repositories-to-git/) but that article is from 2011, and neither it nor answers on StackOverflow have yet to get me to the point where I can import to a git repo. I've already spent more time trying to get a version of hggit installed that runs on my python version, that can find hggit (and yes I'm on an ubuntu-based system, but even renaming it to git in the rc file doesn't help), than I would have spent just copying the files to another directory and initializing the repo from there. :( I guess that's what I'll do (or rather `rm -rf .hg`), but I can't guarantee I'll be sticking with BitBucket (not that you care right now as I'm not a paying user, but...)

So my shiny new git repositories have this as their initial commit messages: "forced import from mercurial (I hope this lemonade comes with some sugar, as it's pretty sour right now)."

kevin_karplus December 27, 2019

@Not For Lemmings, LLC   Github has a one-button import for repositories that transfers the repository given just the URL (plus a password, if it is a private repository).  Issues can be transferred with the Python program from  https://github.com/jeffwidman/bitbucket-issue-migration

I didn't find a way to transfer Wiki pages automatically, but I had so few that hand-transfer was acceptable to me.

My transfer experience is given in

https://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/moved-pterodaq-from-bitbucket-to-github/

Like # people like this
npcole December 30, 2019

My sole reason for being a customer of Atlasin's was bitbucket's support for Mercurial.  

I didn't want to make a rash decision. I've thought long and hard about the options, and have decided (reluctantly) that I'll need to find another host.  It may not be the current favourite, but Murcurial suits my needs well.

Now I need to find a new host.

vegesm January 4, 2020

I've successfully converted from Mercurial to Git multiple repos, rather painlessly. The migration also gave a good time to do some cleanup with history (removing large files, fixing some filenames). I've summarized the steps needed here:

http://androidcalculator.com/migrating-from-mercurial-to-git/

It is quite easy, I encourage you to do it, if you were afraid of the complexity.

Like # people like this
herrpi January 6, 2020

I've sent some time checking out the two suggested ways for converting my repos.

I finally succeeded in using the fast-export Python tool and was able to convert my repos and re-upload them to a new Git project to Bitbucket. Yay!

On my way I noted some pitfalls and important points to pay attention to. If there is enough interest and need I could write my way down and make it accessible for you.

How much interest does exist out there?

(I did it on my Win 8 machine)

Like sreedevin likes this
gnarvaja January 7, 2020

After 12 pages of people blaming for removing Mercurial and asking for a one-click tool, I'm not going to add another, but I agree with them.

Instead, I think you should AT LEAST, change your decision of REMOVING the repositories, but instead FREEZE them. So, I can go there and see the pull requests, and I'm protected in case I missed migrating someone. 

All the manual tools for doing the migration don't cover the migration of the history of pull requests, and you, BitBucket, are the only ones who can provide such a tool. If not possible, at least don't delete anything and just left the old repositories freezed for future reference.

Like # people like this
Ruslan Berezyuk January 7, 2020

@gnarvaja Removing the repos is the worst desition ever! I will take time to rescue my code, but what about opensource projects? There should plenty of them! Collaborators simply may have no time to do the port. Or maybe will not get the notification on time or whatever. It's life, people have better things to do than watching if someone decides to delete their code from one day to another! That code will be gone, probably lost forever. 

That's sad. 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Terry Blankers January 7, 2020

I've been a paying customer for years and I'm pissed!

I need to manually convert or migrate 28 Hg repos?!!? 

BitBucket couldn't even give me an easy way to view or filter my 28 Hg repos out of my 50+ repos?

No offer of an in-place migration service?

They actually plan to delete my data which I've been paying them to host for me for years?

And the best the can do is refer me to a rudimentary blog post from 2011 as if they're doing me a big support favor ?!!?

Atlassian Sucks!! 

Like # people like this
mnpenner January 7, 2020

They also recently dropped support for the v1 API and they have a bug in their v2 API wherein you can't fetch issue attachments if they have the same name, so that's cool.

Like vaviloff likes this
jhw January 7, 2020

Yeah this experience with small retail customers has finally made me sympathize with all the big enterprise infrastructure people I know who growl and grimace when they hear me say I like Bitbucket Cloud. I’m a lot less inclined to argue with them now.

Like vaviloff likes this
she2_g January 8, 2020

After reading everyone's comment, I think it will be stupid of me to remain with BitBucket, even if I am able to successfully convert my repos to git.

Like # people like this
farvardin January 11, 2020

1% of new bitbucket repo using Mercurial only? Why not, but I'd be interested to know instead the % of current repos using Mercurial!  Since Bitbucket had only mercurial support in the beginning, I'm sure it's pretty high...

I want to keep using Mercurial, so I'm migrating elsewhere. Good bye...

Like # people like this
arganoid January 23, 2020

GitHub has an easy-to-use importer for Mercurial repos, and issues can also be ported using a Python script - see here https://www.reddit.com/r/mercurial/comments/elu3m7/migrating_from_bitbucket_to_github/

Like # people like this
Ruslan Berezyuk January 24, 2020

I'm wondering what will happen with Tortoise Hg? The source code is hosted on Bitbucket and it's in hg ... I hope they are going to move it somewhere else ... 

https://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg/src/default/ 

Like # people like this
webmarka January 24, 2020

I love using TortoiseHG! I'm sad knowing I will probably have to drop it. Never found a good equivalent in Linux for Git, does anyone have suggestions?

Nicky Perian January 24, 2020

SmartGit and gitk both work on Linux

Alex Bream January 24, 2020

TortoiseHG will be, with or without BitBucket.

Like Tara McGrew likes this
arganoid January 24, 2020

I made this spreadsheet while looking for an alternative for TortoiseHg in Windows:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tuZXJb8e9w-lGjMO7lfYSyI1SSYHe5FNOdPsyRnSm5A/edit?usp=sharing

My favourite was GitKraken, which is available for Linux but the free version is restricted.

Michael Schack January 28, 2020

...so you drop a feature, which is fine, but then

• you leave us out in the cold to figure out what to do next to keep our data, no migration tool, no easy to follow instruction, no FAQ page with some real answers
  • In June 2020 you will simply delete the repos, not freeze them, but just remove the files, comments, history, everything?
  • The suggested instructions for migrating to git are from 2011?
  • seriously Atlassian?

At first I thought "no panic" - there must surely be some sort of migration option on Bitbucket, but the closer June 2020 gets the more it becomes clear that there may be no help at all. This erodes trust in all other Atlassian products we use. 

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events