Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it.

I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda that allows for development and testing in a local environment. 

In a simple example by adding following bitbucket-pipelines.yml into the project repository my Lambda function gets deployed on every push. I am using environment variables feature to populate $AWS_ACCESS_KEY and $AWS_SECRET_KEY.

image: lambci/lambda:build-nodejs6.10
pipelines:
default:
- step:
script:
- npm install
- npm install node-lambda -g
- node-lambda deploy -a $AWS_ACCESS_KEY -s $AWS_SECRET_KEY
caches:
- node

With properly configured node-lambda you will get a green pipeline that indicated successful deployment on a first push:

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 13.42.46.png

With the recent addition of Bitbucket Deployments, you can take this solution further and keep track of multiple Lambda environments.

To add deployments tracking with manual production promotion modify YML as follows:

image: lambci/lambda:build-nodejs6.10
pipelines:
default:
- step:
deployment: staging
script:
- npm install
- node-lambda deploy -a $AWS_ACCESS_KEY -s $AWS_SECRET_KEY -e staging
caches:
- node
- step:
deployment: production
trigger: manual
script:
- npm install
- node-lambda deploy -a $AWS_ACCESS_KEY -s $AWS_SECRET_KEY -e production
caches:
- node

And if everything goes well you should be able to see similar screen to this:

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 13.59.15.png

2 comments

Mark Whelan March 6, 2018

The problem with node-lambda is that is does not yet support Lambdas versioning and aliases, which we use to manage environments rather than separately named functions. In our test environment, test apps call functions with a test qualifier. Therefore we use grunt-aws-lambda as it does support this feature.

We also use the tags feature in pipelines, which allow us to trigger a deployment based on a certain tag.

image: node:6.10
pipelines:
tags:
test/*:
- step:
caches:
- node
deployment: test
script:
- npm install -g grunt grunt-cli
- npm install
- grunt deploy_test
release/*:
- step:
caches:
- node
deployment: production
script:
- npm install -g grunt grunt-cli
- npm install
- grunt deploy_prod

deploy_test and deploy_prod are grunt tasks configured in Gruntfile.js, which contain the deployment options including the aliases, etc.

SuperPesos January 20, 2022

I'm always getting a role missing error in this pipeline definition, what could be the problem?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events