Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Settings are now available in Bitbucket Cloud!

Workspace admins can now set the following project-level settings: default reviewers, access keys, branching model, and merge strategies. These project settings can be inherited by all the repositories in the project.

211a3921-e2a0-4265-bd96-9643af911cef.png

What problem are we solving with Project Settings?

For a while now, customers have been asking for an easier way to manage their repositories in bulk. Per repository settings and user management is too granular but workspace level settings are too global and not flexible enough for key differences. Workspace admins find it tedious to set default reviewers, for example, for each repository when there might be a common set of reviewers across an entire project.

Project settings also helps admins set and maintain standards that must be enforced across an entire project, which will help them with their compliance needs.

What can you do with Project Settings?

Project settings is a long awaited improvement to the way you manage your repositories across Bitbucket. For existing projects, workspace admins can set project settings and then chose which repositories should inherit them. We know that not all your repositories have the same standards and so this gives you the flexibility to pick and chose how this feature works for you. For new projects, when a workspace admin sets project settings, they automatically get applied to all repositories created in that project, but you can choose to customize them per repository.

Default reviewers and access keys

These settings are cascading, meaning that the project-level settings automatically apply to each repository, but admins have the ability to add additional default reviewers and access keys to an individual repository.

8c023e4e-18c0-445f-8342-861eecdf20b6.png

Branching model and merge strategies

These settings can either be inherited at the repository level or set for specific repositories - whatever works best for your team!

e1652a34-5d46-4378-8943-d6513f014064.png

Get Started

Workspace admins can use project settings now! Just navigate to the Project settings page, and you’ll see the new settings in the left sidebar.

5261797d-eb14-44db-9f49-8cbe087a59d7.png

Up Next: More Settings!

Bitbucket Cloud aims to aims to progressively add value by moving more repository settings up to the project level. That’s why we’re bringing project settings to you now while we still have a lot to do. We’re continuing to work on building out more settings (like branch permissions and merge checks), as well as creating a way for workspace admins to enforce project settings on repositories. Keep an eye out for posts and updates on upcoming releases.

4 comments

Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 3, 2022

Thanks for sharing, this is good news.

I have a question as to whether the project settings sidebar is available as a location for apps to create their own project-level settings page content.

Can you point me to the module (adminPages?) and location in app descriptor schema? https://api.bitbucket.org/connect.json

Thanks for your help, we're looking forward to extending project settings for our BB cloud apps.

Peter Majeed February 3, 2022

This broke our API integration, and it's not clear in the API documentation how to bypass inherited settings. How would you, for instance, bypass inherited branching model settings when creating a new repo?

Gayatri Ramesh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2022

@Peter Majeed My team and I have seen your comment about your API integration and we're working on a fix. I will update here when we have something to share. We're curious to understand why you need custom settings for each repo. I appreciate your patience! Thank you. 

Like # people like this
Peter Majeed February 22, 2022

@Gayatri Ramesh it wasn't so much that we need custom settings. It was more that we used custom settings for each repo because project level settings weren't available, and the introduction of the new feature broke the existing functionality. We scrambled by setting the project setting, then changed our integration to no longer set branching models since it's set by the project automatically.

So we got things working, but the rollout left a dirty feeling in our mouth.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events