Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep track of viewed files on Bitbucket Cloud pull requests

This feature update was also published on the Bitbucket blog.

Hi Bitbucket Cloud community đź‘‹ It's Dave from the PM team with an update about a feature we've just released, one that solves a popular improvement request.

When you're reviewing a pull request, it's helpful to distinguish between files that you've already looked at, and ones that still need your attention. So now, you can explicitly mark files as viewed when you're done reviewing them.

When you mark a file as viewed, that file will be collapsed so you can focus on the files that still need your review. When you return to a pull request, Bitbucket remembers the state of files that you've previously marked as viewed, and they are collapsed automatically.

7ca1fbf2-8194-44ed-9f82-334a99914d3b.png

When new commits to the source branch alter any files that you've marked as viewed, Bitbucket resets the "viewed" state for these files, so that it's clear you need to re-review them.

During your code review, a progress bar at the top of the PR shows how close you are to completing your review of all the files.

Available now â€“ Tell us what you think!

And that's it, a simple feature that's available today for all users of Bitbucket Cloud. We think you're going to like how it helps you stay focused while you're doing code reviews.

Have feedback or found a bug? Head to the Bitbucket help menu > “Give feedback” to share your thoughts.

8 comments

Mark Zieg October 6, 2023

Thank you :-)

Like • # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2023

@Dave Parrish _Atlassian_ Cool! I welcome any improvement that makes code reviews more efficient in general.

Like • Dave Parrish _Atlassian_ likes this
Meu Dinheiro October 9, 2023

Thank you very much guys!! <3

Like • Dave Parrish _Atlassian_ likes this
krjohnston October 15, 2023

Hi @Dave Parrish _Atlassian_ 

I do like this feature but I have one question.

How do you filter to see only un-viewed files?

I have just run a Laravel Shift from Laravel 5.4 to 5.5 that touched 454 files. I have 5 unviewed files, but other than scrolling through the entire list to see which ones I have marked, I can't see any way of knowing which files these are.

I will be doing many more like this so I would find this ability very useful.

EDIT:

When this many files have been touched, you only get to see a single file at a time with scroll forward and backwards buttons.
I have a new pull request that only(!) touches 44 files and I observed that you can see all files in a single page load. Each file accordions closed so it is much easier to navigate to unviewd files, but the problem still remains on larger filesets.

I (and I'm sure, many others) will be doing a lot of legacy upgrades that will produce this level of changes and would appreciate if filtering was addressed.

Like • # people like this
Daniel Pasch-Sannapiu October 16, 2023

This is an amazing feature which we were missing from our previous git hosting solution thank you!

Could you explain how the checkbox correlates to the fold status of a diff?

Previously we thought marking as viewed was folding a diff closed in a PR, now we are not sure those states are synced and maybe entirely different things.

It would sense to me that when you open a PR all viewed files are folded closed, since you don't need to see them again.

But it seems this folding state is oddly tracked and even changes based on if you open the repo via a PR link that inlcudes the UUID of a repo (via Jira Integration) or if you open the PR via a link that includes the normal "name" of a repo (via Bitucket UI)

Like • Manfredi Giordano likes this
Pelle Claesson October 25, 2023

Nice, useful!

Muzaffer Cıkay
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 17, 2023

If we do force push does Bitbucket unmark the changed files or all of them or none?

Hayden Clark February 7, 2024

it's great, but there seems to be no way to remember the viewed status across sessions. I have a mega-PR to review, and I reviewed about a third of it. But when I came back to do some more, all of my "viewed" checks were gone!

Like • Christian Weinand likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events