Help us welcome Horizontal Navigation to Bitbucket Cloud!

Update: The new navigation will be live for all users by March 30th.

Bitbucket Cloud is getting a makeover! 

c56e8174-0dfa-4d73-94ce-9e9e60967c64.gif

We are joining Jira and Confluence Cloud and moving our global navigation from a vertical bar along the left side to a horizontal bar displayed along the top of Bitbucket Cloud. This update is a huge improvement for our users in terms of findability and ease of use, and it also provides a consistent user experience for our customers using other Atlassian products.

1 nav.png

Starting March 28th, the horizontal navigation bar is now the default view for all users in Bitbucket. We are so excited to have taken this step and align with other Atlassian products like Jira and Confluence!

2 nav.png

To improve access to your most frequently used items, we’ve moved Pull Requests, Issues, and Snippets to the dropdown menu under More.

3 nav.png

We’ve updated the global ‘Create’ menu to show the most frequently used global and contextual ‘create’ actions.

These actions are available globally and consistently on every page with some contextual actions for repositories. You can now use the ‘Create’ menu to create a new project and repository. The experience for these two create flows is not changing, the flows remain the same as they were before moving from vertical to horizontal navigation. We made the decision to adjust the ‘Create’ menu after evaluating what actions our users perform most. For example, you’ll notice that the ‘Create Workspace’ action is not an option under the ‘Create’ menu - instead, users will have to navigate to the ‘All Workspaces’ section to perform this action. This is a deliberate change in an attempt to simplify the user experience and tidy up buttons that weren’t used frequently and causing a distraction.

That’s not all!

We’ve also improved the search experience to allow Bitbucket users to search their instances of Confluence and Jira. This means that Atlassian users can seamlessly navigate between different products using the new search bar.

4 nav.png

26 comments

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2021

Awesome! I'm a big fan of horizontal nav and simple white colour 👏

Like # people like this
Gary Pinkham November 18, 2021

So I'm on Pull requests and I want to go to branches. today that is front and center on the side nav.. But I don't see that on the Horizontal Nav..   Am I missing something?     

Like # people like this
marczykmichalpl February 8, 2022

@Gary Pinkham you still have this on other vertical nav:

obraz_2022-02-08_152120.png

Like Gary Pinkham likes this
Gary Pinkham February 8, 2022

@marczykmichalpl  yeap realized that later.  Forget they have two side navs.  One is moving..  thanks!

Like Gayatri Ramesh likes this
Helder Costa February 15, 2022

Much cleaner design and user experience then the previous, but still as a couple of rough edges.

Screenshot from 2022-02-15 22-01-17.png

Popup should maybe expand to accomodate all services, without using vertical/horizontal bars.

marczykmichalpl February 16, 2022

I think searching not working so smooth like default. Recently updated repository not always showing, and when searching sometimes results are incomplete.

rtytgat March 7, 2022

The new search bar seems to behave differently. In the current vertical navigation, you could enter parts of a repository name and it would be found. But the new search bar requires an exact match somewhere in the name of the repository.

I like the previous behaviour and use it a lot.

Sigurd Sippel March 8, 2022

Very nice new navigation!

A button to the 'Open Pull Requests' (including a the number of open pull requests inside icon) would be awesome!

Steven Rhodes March 8, 2022

This is much easier to navigate - but it seems that Im missing the usual Settings cog wheel icon in the top right. I can go to the account avatar menu and select All Workspaces and then Manage on the workspace im in which brings up the Settings, but the icon on the top bar is missing. I can see it in your screenshots.

Stefan Pasel March 8, 2022

I'm not overwhelmed tbh. 

I need more clicks, button priorities and navigation routes are imho not great.

Going from left to right:

1. Bitbucket Logo + Your Work is essentially the same thing, why waste this space?
  2. Repositories and Projects essentially contain more or less the same information with an added structural layer between. It feels like having 3 ways to get to your repositories (which is what you are primarily doing in Bitbucket..) and not a single way is great.
  3. Having your favorite/main projects reachable through a dropdown could have been a bit smoother or have a possibility to switch in the sidebar.
  4. Why having a "more" button with 3 elements inside? Not sure what screens you are working on, but i feel this width constrain is coming from the 90s - i have lots of whitespace available and would have switched to the more button only when screen estate is not available. 
  5. I see so many "Create Repository Buttons" that i'm questioning my way of work.. Should i create more repositories? Who requires this to be so repetitive and often? What would have been helpful: Create Branch, Create Pull Request - this is the daily stuff. 

What would have been better (IMHO):

• Logo = Dashboard/Start (Your Work)
  • Projects = Dropdown, showing your main/fav/recent projects, leading right to your project and the project sidebar should contain: "Repositories (current state) + Pull Requests + Issues, .." - Filtering those data by Project. 
    • Project A
    • Project B
    • Project C
    • ----
      more [> goes to ugly project table]
  • Repositories = Shows all Repositories across projects but should contain
  • Pull Requests
  • Issues

A lot of this is already done in JIRA (e.g. Project Dropdown/Flyout, Switch in Sidebar between boards etc.) and i hope this will also make it to the bitbucket navigation. 

The current state does not feel finished, a preview at best and i'm glad you added a button for me  to "disable the new navigation". Once this navigation has reached the features we see in JIRA i'd be glad to switch. 

Mukesh Tiwari March 9, 2022

Where is the compare option in the new navigation?

Gayatri Ramesh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2022

@Helder Costa Thank you for the feedback! Yes, there are still some rough edges here but the team is continuing to work on this and make improvements. 

Like seanaty likes this
Gayatri Ramesh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2022

@marczykmichalpl and @rtytgat Thank you for your feedback! At the moment, search doesn’t show the repos you have access recently, but the repos that were accessed recently overall. We realize that’s not ideal and are working on improving that experience beyond the cross-product search we introduced with the new navigation. 

Like seanaty likes this
Gayatri Ramesh
Atlassian Team
March 9, 2022

@Sigurd Sippel Thank for your suggestion! Currently, open pull requests can be seen on the “your work” dashboard. 

Like seanaty likes this
Gayatri Ramesh
Atlassian Team
March 9, 2022

@Steven Rhodes Thank you for your feedback! That’s correct, settings can currently be accessed through the user profile menu, not through a separate cog wheel icon in the navigation. This is a change we are considering, and you may hear about this in the future. Stay tuned!

Like # people like this
Markus te Grotenhuis
Atlassian Team
March 9, 2022

@Stefan Pasel Thank you for your feedback! We are going to continue to improve the navigation experience in Bitbucket Cloud over the next weeks and months, and we're going to take your suggestions into consideration.

Regarding the actions available in the create button: "Create branch" and "Create pull request" are contextual actions that you can access from the context of a repository.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 9.01.19 AM.png

Like seanaty likes this
Markus te Grotenhuis
Atlassian Team
March 9, 2022

@Mukesh Tiwari Thank you for your question! The action "Compare branches or tags" is available through the overflow menu on the source view of a repository.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 8.57.29 AM.png

Like # people like this
Mukesh Tiwari March 10, 2022

@Markus te Grotenhuis Thank you for the information.

Steven Rhodes March 10, 2022

@Gayatri Ramesh Nice that you're "considering" making Bitbucket Cloud operate the same as pretty much every other Atlassian product regarding accessing the settings :) How else do you explain the screenshots with this feature? Its a bit convoluted now to access. 

Right now:
Click profile icon,
Click "All Workspaces"
Find the relevant Workspace
Click Manage

Which then drops you to https://bitbucket.org/<workspacename>/workspace/settings

This could easily be fixed with the Cog icon, which would drop you to the above link depending on which workspace you are in at the time.

Like Nick Bailey likes this
Larry Timmins March 21, 2022

As someone said, there are a lot of Create Repositories, but our Developers "don't create repositories".

We have all applications defined and branches for deployment targets in each.

Working with STAGIL to revamp everything to work with private predefined repositories.

Hopefully as 95 percent of interactions will be through Git clients, the UI won't be an issue.

Like Markus te Grotenhuis likes this
Karthick S
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2022

Liked this new navigation which closely aligns with other Atlassian products!

jeremylind March 28, 2022

No sidebar for list-style navigation content like workspaces and repos? No thanks.

Harsh March 28, 2022

For widescreens is there an option to choose a vertical navbar (horizontal sticky header occupies the little vertical space I have)?

Like # people like this
bonachea March 28, 2022

This is a terrible idea.
Vertical space is MORE precious than horizontal space on a standard 720p/1080p monitor.
STOP STEALING MY VERTICAL SPACE!

Worse still, this was force-applied to everyone today, and the Labs setting to "opt-out" HAS NO EFFECT!

Like sahawut-hms likes this
mbucalo April 1, 2022

Awesome thanks

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events