Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create and configure a Bitbucket Server repository using the REST API endpoints

How to create a repository using the REST API endpoints?

To create a new repository, we will be using the following endpoint:

POST /rest/api/1.0/projects/{projectKey}/repos

When using curl, the full command looks like this:

curl --user <user>:<password> -H "Content-Type: application/json" --data @input.json -X POST <Bitbucket URL>/rest/api/1.0/projects/<projectKey>/repos

(i) The authenticated user must have PROJECT_ADMIN permission for the parent project to be able to create a repository.

There are various options that can be set while creating the repository depending on the content of the input.json file.

Straightforward creation

At a minimum, the input file has to contain the name of the repository:

{
"name": "My Repository"
}

Publicly accessible repository

To enable the "Public access" while creating the repository, this is how to define the payload:

{
"name": "My Repository",
"public": true
}

Non forkable repository

A non forkable repository ("Allow forks" option unchecked) is created by using this input file:

{
"name": "My Repository",
"forkable": false
}

Reference documentation

5 comments

Travis_Cottreau May 1, 2019

Is there a full list of repository settings somewhere?

I am trying to change "pull requests"->"Unapprove automatically on new changes" to true, but have no idea where to find this parameter.

Like gabe stepanovich likes this
code October 3, 2019

Is this still working ? Lately I keep getting 

{"type": "error", "error": {"message": "Resource removed", "detail": "This API is no longer supported.\n\nFor information about its removal, please refer to the deprecation notice at: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/bitbucket/deprecation-notice-v1-apis/"}}
Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

Hi @bunlongheng

This article is about Bitbucket Server & Data Center while I see you are trying to create a repository in Bitbucket Cloud (bitbucket.org).

This is the end point that can be used to create a repository in Bitbucket Cloud, in particular you want to use the POST method:

/2.0/repositories/{username}/{repo_slug}

Here is the link to the related documentation:

/2.0/repositories/{username}/{repo_slug}

james_mckean June 18, 2021

I am following this process to create a repo in BB Data Center 7.7.1.   When I use curl I get a 404 Error.

My command is:

curl --user <user>:<password> -H "Content-Type: application/json" --data @input.json -X POST https://bamboo.dev.<clientCompany>/rest/api/1.0/projects/<projectKey>/repos

input.json only contains the name line in the format above

Error message is: 

"null for uri: https://bamboo.dev.<clientCompany>.com/rest/api/1.0/projects/<MyExistingProjectKey>/repos"

Ideas?

Devashish Nigam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 5, 2024

How do I create repo with default branch as master instead of main

{
    "name": "demo1",
    "scmId": "git",
    "forkable": true
    }

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events