Bitbucket Server 7.0 is here!

Hello Community,

I’m Anton Genkin, a product manager on the Bitbucket Server and Data Center team and am excited to share that Bitbucket Server 7.0 is now available! It's a platform release, one that marks the beginning of several new investments we’re going to make for the future of the Bitbucket.

So what’s in 7.0? We’ve been focusing on delivering value to developers and enterprises in this release - here’s a quick look at the updates you can expect when you upgrade:

A revamped pull request experience

• The pull request page has been redesigned, optimized and packed with code review improvements you’ve asked us for a long time.

• New UI is twice faster and more responsive comparing to the previous version even for the largest pull requests.

• New features that enable better collaboration, starting with the ability to add comments on any line. New tasks that don’t need to have a parent comment anymore. Syntax highlighting in unified diff and word-wrapping in side-by-side diff. Adding comments to files stored in LFS is also on the list.

• Better search with the support of browser native Ctrl+F dialog and new file-tree filtering.

• Improvements in code copying-pasting and adding images into comments.

And this is not a complete list of features that have been added to the pull request page in 7.0!

Enterprise features

• New Advanced Auditing page that has audit log view at the instance level vs. just the project or repository. Admins can now decide which events are logged, how long they need to be retained and are can be easily filtered and exported.

• An integration with OpenID Connect. OpenID Connect is modern industry-standard for single sign-on and identity provisioning.

Also included in the 7.0 Data Center offering is Smart Mirror Farms and CDN support. The former is an evolution of Smart Mirrors, originally released in Bitbucket Server 4.3, and enables you to cluster mirrors into “farms” behind a load balancer to increase your system’s CI/CD capacity. Whereas a CDN (content delivery network) accelerates the experience of your remote users (e.g. page load time), while also reducing the peak load on your primary instance by caching static resources.

Faster Performance

Last but not least, we’ve increased the speed and performance of multiple pages within the Bitbucket platform. Users can now expect up to 200% increase in content load times across the Bitbucket instance.

And that’s not all! We know many of you are excited to upgrade to the 7.x series, and we will be communicating details about our next Enterprise release for Bitbucket in the middle of 2020.

Until then, if you have comments, questions, stories please share them below. We also have an issue tracker where you can always suggest new features and upvote existing ones. Your feedback is valuable and helps us to prioritize future investments. Thanks for your patience and trust!

To find out more about Bitbucket Server 7.0, check out these resources:

6 comments

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2020

Great update! Thanks @Anton Genkin and to the rest of the Bitbucket team!

Suporte STI March 24, 2020

3-way diff does not exist anymore in PRs? I've upgraded recently and this is causing confusion to some PR when merge-base is far from the tip. There is some way to enable 3-way diff?

Like # people like this
Anton Genkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2020
Like Paul Childs likes this
Anne Hommelberg April 1, 2020

Hi Anton, 

We've upgraded our test environment to 7.0 and it's looking great so far. However I've run into an issue upgrading one of our custom plugins: I'm unable to convert one of our client-web-panels on the pull request overview to the new clientside extension api. 

We were placing a client-web-panel on the bitbucket.pull-request.links position. This panel contained a message to the reviewers to please remember reviewing the release notes as well (or in the case of this example, a warning message that the release notes are missing):

example_message.PNG

Unfortunately, the bitbucket.ui.pullrequest.overview.summary extension point does not support adding a PanelExtension in this position. And I can't find any other extension point I can use in the pull request overview to simply display a message based on the pullRequest context. Is this an oversight in the implementation of the extension framework or is there some other way to do this that I'm missing?

I'm not attached to the position of the message box, as long as it is somewhere on the pull request overview so it is easily visible to anyone viewing the page...

Thanks, Anne

Maciej Adamczak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2020

Hi @Anne Hommelberg, the mentioned "bitbucket.ui.pullrequest.overview.summary" extension point can accept three types of extensions: "link", "button", and "modal". I would suggest you to try using the "modal" type and displaying a modal dialog window instead of the panel.

You can read more about the modal extension on the official docs page:
https://developer.atlassian.com/server/framework/clientside-extensions/guides/introduction/creating-a-modal/

The other suggestion I have is trying to utilise the Code Insights with a merge check that was added to Bitbucket 6.9. You could send a custom report to the Code Insights API triggered by a CI.

The alternative for all of that would be creating a custom merge check that is blocking your pull request from being merged when the given information is not provided.

Please feel free to ask any questions related to the above topics on developers community:
https://community.developer.atlassian.com/c/bitbucket-development/bitbucket-server

Thanks,
Maciej

Anne Hommelberg April 2, 2020

Hi @Maciej Adamczak

Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately none of the proposed solutions will achieve what we want. There is already a modal in place that shows the release notes or lack thereof in the dialog and a merge check that prevents the pull request from merging when there are no release notes. In addition to these two components, our plugin also contained the panel to provide an "eye-catching" visual clue to review these release notes as well. There now appears to be no way to do something similar in 7.0 since we can indeed only add extensions of the type "link", "button" or "modal" to the extension point.

Thanks, Anne

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events