Announcement: Bitbucket Cloud account password usage for Git over HTTPS and API ending March 1, 2022

282 comments

Shay yerushalmi September 30, 2022

Can someone help me with that? ... i do understand what i am doing wrong 

Mat Jung October 1, 2022

My first time user experience with Bitbucket is a form of disappointing.

One spends time to create an account, creates a repository - to find out:

remote: Bitbucket Cloud recently stopped supporting account passwords for Git authentication.
remote: See our community post for more details: https://atlassian.community/t5/x/x/ba-p/1948231
remote: App passwords are recommended for most use cases and can be created in your Personal settings:
remote: https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/app-passwords/

There is this fancy button Clone on the website to find out, the locally installed git client - cannot clone it

Why not extend view Clone this repository with additional information about - cloning depends on App password.

Now I am going to find out, if the instructions in this community post are useful.

Like # people like this
Mat Jung October 1, 2022

My lessons learnt: The initial error message "App passwords are recommend" was a distraction.

Cloning as SSH still works in the same way as it works at other git repository hosters.

Instructions for first time users - could still be more comprehensive.

Like Shay yerushalmi likes this
Andreas Lustig October 18, 2022

Amazing how Github just works while Bitbucket constantly needs you to change your way of doing things rather than make the software fit.

Like Adam Hughes likes this
artemcs October 27, 2022
This is terrible! I can't even record a webinar on versioning. Forced to show bad practices with password copying. My poor students suffered.
Like caxix likes this
artemcs October 27, 2022
Bring back the Mercurial.
Like caxix likes this
caxix December 21, 2022

Not working, not documented and an utter waste of time. Moving to GitHub. Terrible!

Like Adam Hughes likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events