Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerate your development process with Tabnine AI and Bitbucket

This blog was written by Brandon Jung, VP Marketing at Tabnine.

We tested Tabnine as part of our efforts to review the latest code AI apps. Tabnine helps speed up your development process by delivering optimized code suggestions via a chat module and auto complete functionality.

Works with all popular IDEs. Sign up for a free trial.

AI is transforming how we create, maintain, and deploy software. AI coding assistants like Tabnine help developers work faster, develop higher quality code, and be more satisfied. Tabnine achieves this by automating repetitive tasks and generating code, documentation, and tests using a combination of auto-complete and chat-based agents embedded in the IDE.

Tabnine uses the context of your code stored in Bitbucket to deliver optimized recommendations for each of your developers. This blog will show you how to get started with Tabnine and how it works with your Bitbucket repos. 

Introduction to Tabnine

While tools like ChatGPT introduced many to the potential of generative AI for code, Tabnine is the originator of the category – now in use by over a million users across thousands of organizations. Tabnine is an Atlassian partner and a portfolio company of Atlassian Ventures. Get the app via the Atlassian marketplace.  

Tabnine is the AI that you control:  

• It’s private. You choose where and how to deploy Tabnine (SaaS, VPC, or on-premises) to maximize control over your intellectual property. Rest easy knowing that . Tabnine never stores or shares your company’s code
  • It’s personalized. Tabnine delivers an optimized experience for each development team. It’s context-aware and can be tuned to recommend based on your standards.  You can also create a bespoke model trained on your codebases.
  • It’s protected. Tabnine is built with enterprise-grade security and compliance at its core. It’s trained exclusively on open-source code with permissive licenses, ensuring that our customers are never exposed to legal liability.

Tabnine supports all major IDEs and the most popular languages, libraries, and frameworks.

Using Bitbucket and Tabnine

Tabnine delivers best in class cloud models and a high-velocity local model that is customized based on your code in Bitbucket. We also provide built-in reporting to help developers get up to speed faster and write more consistent code.

Start by checking out the branch from Bitbucket from the Jira issue you’ve been assigned and open the project in your IDE. For these examples, we’re using Visual Studio Code and IntelliJ.

Note: If you don’t see the Tabnine Chat window, click the “Tabnine AI” icon on the activity bar.

Natural language code search

Tabnine provides the “/workspace” command to query your code in the current workspace. If you need to locate a function, you can ask using a natural language prompt with this command in the chat.

Explain code

When exploring new code, it can be helpful to have an explanation of what a particular function does. You can highlight blocks of code and use the /explain-code command in the chat to have Tabnine return an explanation. You may also ask what the highlight code does using a natural language prompt.

Generate code

Tabnine can generate code from a natural language prompt through the chat. Once the code has been generated it is time to review it. If you need to adjust, Tabnine is there to help as well with midline and newline suggestions.

Refactor code

Next, ask Tabnine to help with refactoring the code that is not performing.

Generate Documentation

Since we have several developers using the Bitbucket repo, I want to document the details on the code that I have written. I can do this using the chat with a natural language prompt or by using the /document-code command. Once the documents have been generated I can review and choose to insert them into the code.

Generate Unit Tests

One last step is writing unit tests.  The best time to write the tests are while I am in the code so I jump over and highlight the functions and entering natural language in the chat or by using the /generate-test-for-code.  Keep the tests in this file or copy over elsewhere in my Bitbucket repos.

Tabnine provides many context aware and advanced chat features that currently work with Bitbucket. Using natural language prompts and built in commands, we’re able to quickly understand and generate code, documentation, and tests leaving you time to focus on the parts that matter most.

Try Tabnine today

Get started for free todayor contact us to connect with an expert to learn more.

9 comments

Oleksii Babchenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2024

Is it possible to use Tabnine AI with Visual Studio?

Like algomanet likes this
Cristoph January 24, 2024

Hi @Oleksii Babchenko
the Tabnine people have an extension for VS 
https://www.tabnine.com/install/visualstudio

akopylov January 24, 2024

Is it possible to use it in ItelliJ IDEA Client for remote development?

Johannes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2024

Can I use Tabnine with Spring Tool Suite 4?

Aydrian Howard January 25, 2024

Hello all. Here is our list of supported IDEs. We don't currently support Spring Tool Suite 4. While we do support ItelliJ, I'm checking to see if that support extends to remote development.

Aydrian Howard January 26, 2024

@akopylov The short answer is yes but we would need more info on your setup.

Mark McIntosh January 31, 2024

This looks interesting, but what's the outlook beyond the 3-month free trial in terms of added cost for using it? Will it be an add-on per-user license through Atlassian, will we subscribe to the service through Tabnine, or both? Thanks.

Like kc_ray likes this
Alberto Gomez February 4, 2024

I've signed up and there is no connection to bitbucket in particular. There is no configuration or settings to connect Tabnine with Bitbucket. The article title and overview is misleading. 
Still... this seems like an interesting tool before copilot comes out and it's compatible with Eclipse so we are trialing it. 
I also found that you can only add it to one IDE per member. 

Aydrian Howard February 5, 2024

@Mark McIntosh After the 3 months, the Pro edition costs $12 per user per month. There is a discount for teams of 5 or more people. You would sign up at tabnine.com. We also have an enterprise option for teams of 100 or more. You can learn more at https://www.tabnine.com/pricing.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events