It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

[skip ci] doesn't prevent pipeline running

According to the instructions here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/bitbucket-pipelines-faq-827104769.html

Adding [skip ci] to the last commit message should prevent a pipeline running.

However this doesn't work. Neither does [ci skip]

Part of my pipeline increments the version number and runs this

git add -A
git commit -m "version increment [skip ci]"
git push origin master

But this triggers an infinite loop of builds. How can I stop this?

4 answers

0 votes

Hi @Ben Gannaway,

I was able to see the feature working fine with the following bitbucket-pipelines.yml script:

pipelines:
  default:
    - step:
        script:
          - echo test >> test.txt
          - git add -A
          - git commit -m "version increment [skip ci]"
          - git push origin master

Any change to a branch in my repository will trigger just one build and create a new commit with one more test on test.txt file.

Can you share more details on:

1. How is the bitbucket-pipelines.yml in your branches? Is this file in synch across branches?
  2. Do you mind sharing your bitbucket-pipelines.yml? (please hide any private information you have)

@Daniel Santos [skip ci] seems to be not working with pull request trigger.

Hi @codenet_phuong

Can you confirm that the [skip ci] token is part of your merge commit for the pull request?

Hi @codenet_phuong

As you can see in the support ticket you already submitted to our team, this is indeed a bug, more precisely this one [BCLOUD-17676] - Pull-request pipelines run with [skip ci].
The branch builds will be skipped but the pull request build will still run, unfortunately.

I think that explains this behavior.

Any update regarding this ticket? I'm experiencing the same issue with the following config in my bitbucket-pipelines.yml

- yarn version --patch # Update patch version
- echo "Made a change in build ${BITBUCKET_BUILD_NUMBER}"
- git status
-
git push
- git commit ./package.json -m "[skip CI] Patch version increment"
- git push origin de

The CI proccess keeps re-triggering itself until my free minutes usage of pipelines run out.

Hi @Diego Martín Mármol

The bug will affect a pipeline built for pull-request, but should not affect the ones running for the branch.

I see you are using 

[skip CI]

instead of

[skip ci]

If this is not a pull request issue, it could be the way "skip ci" is written.

Like # people like this

I've encountered to this problem since today. Is this a known problem? My automated skip ci commits keep triggering pipelines, using the following config.

image: node:lts
options:
max-time: 5
pipelines:
pull-requests:
feature/*:
- step:
name: Publish
script:
- npm version prerelease -m "Upgrade to %s [skip ci]"
- git push && git push --tags
- pipe: atlassian/npm-publish:0.2.0
variables:
NPM_TOKEN: $NPM_TOKEN

afaik this is just basic pipelines configurations? 

This is a screenshot of the pipelines overview page with the commit message containing [skip ci]

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 15.39.35.png

To all readers,

this problem is caused by a bug in pipelines. See this ticket for progress: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-17676

Like Daniel Santos likes this

Yes, this bug was reported in different comment above, but the link redirect was affected due to a recent change in our issue system. Thank you for adding the new link here.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket Pipelines

What We Learned When We Researched Open Source Vulnerabilities in 7 Popular Coding Languages

...hey are a part of us, shaping how we interact with the world around us. The same holds true for programming languages when we think about how different kinds of vulnerabilities raise their heads in t...

152 views 0 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you