- pipe: atlassian/aws-eks-kubectl-run:1.1.1
variables:
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID: $AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID
AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: $AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY
AWS_DEFAULT_REGION: $REGION
CLUSTER_NAME: $CLUSTER_NAME
KUBECTL_COMMAND: 'set image deployment/app-frontend app-frontend=$IMAGE_NAME'

Error Message:
Added new context arn:aws:eks:[region]:[aws_id]:cluster/[cluster_name] to /root/.kube/config
Successfully updated the kube config.
error: You must be logged in to the server (Unauthorized)
kubectl set image deployment/app-frontend app-frontend=IMAGE_NAME failed.

can anyone please guide me on how to authenticate using this pipe? as the documentation doesn't say much aside from filling in those required variables.

Thanks 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
martinyung January 18, 2020

after much research finally found the solution. Apparently in AWS EKS, by default only the cluster creator IAM can interact with the eks cluster through kubectl.

From AWS EKS Documentation

When you create an Amazon EKS cluster, the IAM entity user or role, such as a federated user that creates the cluster, is automatically granted system:masters permissions in the cluster's RBAC configuration. To grant additional AWS users or roles the ability to interact with your cluster, you must edit the aws-auth ConfigMap within Kubernetes.

AWS EKS Documentation: Managing Users or IAM Roles for your Cluster 

Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

Hi @martinyung , thanks for taking time to share your findings. We will update the docs with more information, including this caveat. 

Like # people like this
Rob Jahn
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 10, 2020

I had the same issue running on version atlassian/aws-eks-kubectl-run:1.2.1.  By just edited the config map (kubectl edit -n kube-system configmap/aws-auth) and adding the user I configured in my pipeline fixed it.  Thank you @martinyung this saved alot time!  @Alexander Zhukov if you update the docs, please add to the docs what AWS permissions are required for the AWS user.

Like martinyung likes this
1 vote
soupdiver September 10, 2020

It seems you can also set `ROLE_ARN` as a variable for the pipe. But to find this I had to  look at the source code....

opicarellieldorado December 2, 2020

Perfect!!! Code here 

1. Configure role:

TRUST="{ \"Version\": \"2012-10-17\", \"Statement\": [ { \"Effect\": \"Allow\", \"Principal\": { \"AWS\": \"arn:aws:iam::${ACCOUNT_ID}:root\" }, \"Action\": \"sts:AssumeRole\" } ] }"
echo '{ "Version": "2012-10-17", "Statement": [ { "Effect": "Allow", "Action": "eks:Describe*", "Resource": "*" } ] }' > /tmp/iam-role-policy
aws iam create-role --role-name EksCodeBuildKubectlRole --assume-role-policy-document "$TRUST" --output text --query 'Role.Arn'
aws iam put-role-policy --role-name EksCodeBuildKubectlRole --policy-name eks-describe --policy-document file:///tmp/iam-role-policy

2. Configure AWS-AUTH

ROLE="    - rolearn: arn:aws:iam::${ACCOUNT_ID}:role/EksCodeBuildKubectlRole\n      username: build\n      groups:\n        - system:masters"
kubectl get -n kube-system configmap/aws-auth -o yaml | awk "/mapRoles: \|/{print;print \"$ROLE\";next}1" > /tmp/aws-auth-patch.yml
kubectl patch configmap/aws-auth -n kube-system --patch "$(cat /tmp/aws-auth-patch.yml)"

3. Add repository environment ROLE_ARN

4. Add ROLE_ARN=$ROLE_ARN in bitbucket-pipeline.yml

Please attlasian forum, complement the doc with this helpful script

Like Diógenes Castro likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events