It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

how can I use an environment variable in a parameter for a pipe?

I am wanting to use the google-kubectl-pipe which takes numerous arguments which define the kubernetes cluster.

How can I use a variable as part of the variables/parameters for the pipe itself?

In the example below, I want the k8s_zone and k8s_cluster variables to be expanded before they are passed into the pipe.  In this cases, the pipe doesn't do any magic with variables and expected things to be static.

- echo ${k8s_zone}
- pipe: atlassian/google-gke-kubectl-run:1.1.2
variables:
KEY_FILE: 'gcloud-api-key.json'
PROJECT: 'my-cluster-project'
COMPUTE_ZONE: "${k8s_zone}"
CLUSTER_NAME: "${k8s_cluster}"

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @bradrust . The code that you've shared should actually work just fine. Pipelines are expanding the variables before passing them to pipes. Maybe you could share more details about your issue with passing variables to the pipe?

Yes, I believe I was stuck on something else.   It appears that I was stuck on the correct way to pass the gcloud-api-key.json.   

thanks.

Like morco likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket Pipelines

What We Learned When We Researched Open Source Vulnerabilities in 7 Popular Coding Languages

...hey are a part of us, shaping how we interact with the world around us. The same holds true for programming languages when we think about how different kinds of vulnerabilities raise their heads in t...

1,055 views 0 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you