aws-ecr-push-image pipe doesn't use TAGS argument

michael.hart March 12, 2020

I call this pipe with "TAGS" but it always defaults to "latest".

As per below I'm using tag 1.1.1. Same problem with 1.1.0.

- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:1.1.1
variables:
TAGS: mytag
IMAGE_NAME: "${IMAGE}"

INFO: Executing the aws-ecr-push-image pipe...INFO: Found credentials in environment variables.INFO: Successfully logged in to https://xxx.dkr.ecr.$AWS_DEFAULT_REGION.amazonaws.com✖ Image not found: 404 Client Error: Not Found ("no such image: myimage: No such image: myimage:latest")

3 answers

1 vote
Nick Rountree November 10, 2020

Just in case it helps anyone, this is what worked for me -

script: 
# Note that AWS picks up the registry name from the access key so not included in the repo name
- export REPOSITORY_NAME=myorg/myapp
- export TAG=${SEMVER}_${BITBUCKET_BUILD_NUMBER}
- docker build -t $REPOSITORY_NAME .
- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:1.2.1
variables:
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID: $AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID
AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: $AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY
AWS_DEFAULT_REGION: $AWS_DEFAULT_REGION
IMAGE_NAME: $REPOSITORY_NAME
TAGS: '${TAG}'
1 vote
Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2020

Hi @michael_hart , it seems like the docker daemon can't find the image with the name 'myimage:latest' when running the pipe. You need to build this image in the same step before executing the pipe so it's available to docker. 

michael.hart March 16, 2020

Hi,

I don't want to push "myimage:latest", I want to push "myimage:mytag"

Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2020

Right, the pipe will tag the myimage:latest with myimage:mytag and push the tagged image. But for this the pipe expects the myimage to be available for tagging. Here is an example 

script:

# build the image
  - docker build -t my-docker-image .

# use the pipe to push to AWS ECR
  - pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:0.2.0
    variables:
IMAGE_NAME: my-docker-image
TAGS: '${BITBUCKET_TAG} latest'

In the above example, we build the image with the my-docker-image name and the pipe will tag it with two tags: ${BITBUCKET_TAG} (which might be something like 1.0.0 or other version) and latest. 

michael.hart March 17, 2020

Yes, I already build my image with this for example

docker build -t my-docker-image .

After which, I want to retag the image with "mytag" and only push my-docker-image:mytag to ECR. So in your example I'm doing the equivalent of this:

# use the pipe to push to AWS ECR
  - pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:0.2.0
    variables:
IMAGE_NAME: my-docker-image
TAGS: '${BITBUCKET_TAG}'

However you'll find that, no matter what I put in "TAGS", it will always try to push "latest".

(in your example code, does that actually work?)

Tom June 20, 2020

@Alexander Zhukov I also seem to be having this issue. My script is as follows:

script:
- docker build -t my-image .
- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-image-push:1.1.3
variable:
IMAGE_NAME: my-image
TAGS: '${BITBUCKET_BUILD_NUMBER}'

No matter what I seem to put in TAGS when it pushes my image it only ever tags it with 'latest'. I even tried something like `TAGS: "hi latest"` and I can see in the logs of the pipeline that the following is being set:

--env=TAG="hi latest"

But the image is still just tagged as `latest` in ECR. Am I missing something? 

soupdiver September 9, 2020

Right, the pipe will tag the myimage:latest with myimage:mytag and push the tagged image.

Why would you do this? I provide the tag to be pushed but the pipe still expects to find a tag "latest" just to re-tag it to my provided tag? This just leads to confusion in the end. It's also not documented that the tag "latest" must be present even when pushing another tag.

The same for the image name. I have to build my image as "foo" just to get it pushed as `xxx.dkr.ecr.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/foo`. This breaks usual Makefiles for no reason. I don't think it's smart for this pipe trying to be "smart". I can figure out and provide image names by myself.

It's weird.

@Alexander Zhukov 

Like # people like this
petre mierlutiu November 6, 2020

Actually, `IMAGE_NAME` can have a tag. I'm currently experimenting with the equivalent of this, and it works:

- IMAGE_NAME=foo
- VERSION=2.3.4
- ECR_NS=staging
- TAG="${IMAGE_NAME}:${VERSION}"
- docker build --tag ${TAG} .
- docker tag ${TAG} ${ECR_NS}/${TAG}
- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:1.2.1
     variables:
     IMAGE_NAME: "${ECR_NS}/${TAG}"
     TAGS: '${VERSION} bld-${BITBUCKET_BUILD_NUMBER}'

(Ok, this was just for experimenting, I'm not really using it. But it works, and no "latest" is tagged/pushed.)

0 votes
Shane June 8, 2020

Alexander's answer actually works.

I happened to have the same issue with the following script. No matter what I put in the TAGS, it always tried to push the image with "latest" tag.

- docker build -t $DOCKER_IMAGE_NAME:$BITBUCKET_COMMIT .
- docker tag $DOCKER_IMAGE_NAME:$BITBUCKET_COMMIT $DOCKER_ECR_REPO_URL/$DOCKER_IMAGE_NAME:$BITBUCKET_COMMIT
- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:1.1.2
variables:
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID: $AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID # Optional if already defined in the context.
AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: $AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY # Optional if already defined in the context.
AWS_DEFAULT_REGION: $AWS_DEFAULT_REGION # Optional if already defined in the context.
IMAGE_NAME: $DOCKER_IMAGE_NAME
TAGS: '${BITBUCKET_COMMIT}' # Optional

However,  Once I remove the tagging part, everything works like a charm. In the ECR, it tagged as expected.

- docker build -t $DOCKER_IMAGE_NAME .
- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:1.1.2
variables:
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID: $AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID # Optional if already defined in the context.
AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: $AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY # Optional if already defined in the context.
AWS_DEFAULT_REGION: $AWS_DEFAULT_REGION # Optional if already defined in the context.
IMAGE_NAME: $DOCKER_IMAGE_NAME
TAGS: '${BITBUCKET_COMMIT}' # Optional

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events