Why do self-hosted pipeline runners count towards minute usage?

trydalch May 3, 2021

I just added a pipeline runner thinking that it would save my build minutes (given it's running locally). It's an old box, and was very slow, and when it completed I found out it had used all of my monthly build limits.

What is the benefit to self-hosting runners if it counts towards the build minute usage anyway?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
lassian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

Hi Trydalch

I have just identified an issue with the logic, if you could raise a support case we will return the minutes to your account.

I am deploying a fix to ensure these wont be counted for future steps.

Kind Regards,

Nathan Burrell

trydalch May 4, 2021

Was the logic error in my yaml file? Or was it in the bitbucket system?

When will your bugfix be deployed?

trydalch May 4, 2021

Will your fix allow pipelines to be run on self-hosted runners when all build minutes have been consumed?

Right now it won't let me run any pipelines even though I have self-hosted runners. 

lassian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2021

Hi Trydalch,

Can you raise a support case so that we can re-allocate your minutes.

Will your fix allow pipelines to be run on self-hosted runners when all build minutes have been consumed?

The fix is going out that will allow for this aswell.

Kind Regards,

Nathan Burrell

Mischa Jörg September 26, 2021

Hi @lassian 

We still run into this case where we specify our own runner but the minutes are counted towards our free minutes. Below are the UUIDs you requested to investigate this.

Workspace UUID: 53184a9b-a9ef-41f3-8837-d0bb9650c1fc
Project UUID: 29e8ca4f-7eb9-4bc5-b019-747025166cdf

Let me know if you need more information or if I should create a new question.

Kind regards

EDIT: sorry for probably pinging both of you - I just saw that I use "runs_on" instead of "runs-on". I assume that this is the cause. My bad and sorry again!

lassian
Atlassian Team
September 26, 2021

Hi Mischa,

Yep if you use runs_on we would ignore that setting, as we dont fail parsing on unknown properties as some users have added extra properties to the yml, and it would fallback to using a cloud runner which we do bill for.

Kind Regards,

Nathan Burrell

Like Mischa Jörg likes this
0 votes
daniego October 1, 2021

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue in my workspace 964d564a-fd0d-4d9b-9ab4-a0d4f47ce808 were accidentally run out of minute as I misconfigured the pipeline and now as result the self-hosted runners wont start.

Self-hosted runners shouldn't always work despite the quota?

daniego October 4, 2021

@lassian is this something you can help with?

Nadia Begicheva
Atlassian Team
October 5, 2021

Hi @daniego,

Self-hosted runners should work even if you run out of build minutes.

Could you provide us with your workspace uuid and repository uuid so we look into this?

Kind regards,
Nadia Begicheva

daniego October 7, 2021

Hi,

This is what I assumed as well.

workspace: f3b54baa-16e3-4f6d-b003-838c963e1a4b

repo: 58bb4256-bf4c-41c1-9f0a-704050c47883

daniego October 13, 2021

@Nadia Begicheva do you have any news about this case?

0 votes
lassian
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2021

Hi Trydalch,

Any step that uses runs-on does not currently count against your monthly quota as they are running on your hardware.

Can you please provide us your workspace uuid and repository uuid so we can investigate this.

Kind Regards,

Nathan Burrell

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events