Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User defined Variable that references another variable

Jordan Davidson August 28, 2020

I have a pipeline with a service that needs to point it's url to the BITBUCKET_DOCKER_HOST_INTERNAL ip address so it can communicate with a database. The value of the variable needs to be set to a postgres url, I don't own this service and it doesn't look like I can split up the value into multiple variables. How would I define a variable for this in my service?

I've tried 

DSN: "postgres://***:***@$BITBUCKET_DOCKER_HOST_INTERNAL:5432/***"

and 

DSN: "postgres://***:***@${BITBUCKET_DOCKER_HOST_INTERNAL}:5432/***"

1 answer

0 votes
ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2020

Hi @Jordan Davidson ,

welcome to the Atlassian community.

If I correctly grasp your question, this might be it:

If you need to communicate from a service running in docker to a service running in your build container, when starting the service provide it the following host entry using --add-host host.docker.internal:$BITBUCKET_DOCKER_HOST_INTERNAL you can then access the service using host.docker.internal:<port>.

As variable substitution does not work for service variables, this allows to replace the variable with the hostname (here: "host.docker.internal"):

DSN: "postgres://***:***@host.docker.internal:5432/***"

If I didn't fully understood your scenario so far, please share and also find more information in the reference/source:

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events