Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Upload only changed files using rsync pipe

I'm trying to manage the deployment pipelines of a very large project, made of several hundreds of files. I would like to upload only the ones that have been changed in the last commit. I made a pipeline using atlassian/rsync-deploy but since it is run in a container, the files are moved in the container and they all have a newer date than those in the destination, and so all of them are transferred by rsync. Is it possible to move only the one that have changed? 

1 answer

0 votes

Hey @stefano_vita . What you want is possible with a little workaround. The pipe supports the EXTRA_ARGS parameter which you can you to pass arbitrary rsync cli options. So you might need to take the following steps in your pipeline:

1. Get the list of changed file, for example you can run 
    git diff --name-only HEAD HEAD~1
  2. Write the output to a text file
    git diff --name-only HEAD HEAD~1 > change-files.txt
  3. Use the --include-from rsync option to pass list of files to include
    EXTRA_ARGS: "--include-from='changed-files.txt'" --exclude="*"

Note that you also need to explicitly exclude all files and include only the changed ones.

If what you're actually focused on is getting the files from this build onto the machine then I'd suggest using --ignore-times instead of --include-from / --exclude. You can't be sure your deploying HEAD on top of HEAD~1, especially if you're using builds from multiple branches.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket Pipelines

What We Learned When We Researched Open Source Vulnerabilities in 7 Popular Coding Languages

...hey are a part of us, shaping how we interact with the world around us. The same holds true for programming languages when we think about how different kinds of vulnerabilities raise their heads in t...

1,057 views 0 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you