Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload only changed files using rsync pipe

stefano_vita August 27, 2019

I'm trying to manage the deployment pipelines of a very large project, made of several hundreds of files. I would like to upload only the ones that have been changed in the last commit. I made a pipeline using atlassian/rsync-deploy but since it is run in a container, the files are moved in the container and they all have a newer date than those in the destination, and so all of them are transferred by rsync. Is it possible to move only the one that have changed? 

2 answers

0 votes
Raimundas Ra September 6, 2021

The best way is to use flag -c and -u and it will update to u only commited files.

EXTRA_ARGS: '-c --update ${BITBUCKET_CLONE_DIR}/'
0 votes
Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2019

Hey @stefano_vita . What you want is possible with a little workaround. The pipe supports the EXTRA_ARGS parameter which you can you to pass arbitrary rsync cli options. So you might need to take the following steps in your pipeline:

1. Get the list of changed file, for example you can run 
    git diff --name-only HEAD HEAD~1
  2. Write the output to a text file
    git diff --name-only HEAD HEAD~1 > change-files.txt
  3. Use the --include-from rsync option to pass list of files to include
    EXTRA_ARGS: "--include-from='changed-files.txt'" --exclude="*"

Note that you also need to explicitly exclude all files and include only the changed ones.

Nick February 29, 2020

If what you're actually focused on is getting the files from this build onto the machine then I'd suggest using --ignore-times instead of --include-from / --exclude. You can't be sure your deploying HEAD on top of HEAD~1, especially if you're using builds from multiple branches.

Raimundas Ra September 3, 2021
--ignore-times doesn't worked for me :( could you provide maybe full line with EXTRA_ARGS as example?
I would greatly appreciate :)

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events