Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terraform failures in bitbucket pipelines that cannot be reproduced locally

ben.jefferies February 6, 2020

I'm using bitbucket pipelines to deployed EKS and other infrastructure into AWS using terraform. When running these steps locally in the exact same docker image it works fine:

$ docker run -it -v $PWD:/code --entrypoint sh --memory=4g --memory-swap=4g --memory-swappiness=0 hashicorp/terraform@sha256:5e19b9bab0b6d079cae8822be22cd7010f65177356600154b77fc4fc81bdde31
$ export AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID=<...>
$ export AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=<...>
$ cd /code/envs/dev
$ terraform init
$ terraform plan --var-file default.tfvars

However, when running this in the pipeline with the following step I get the error

Error: Failed to configure: open /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount/token: no such file or directory

step: 
name: Plan for dev
image: hashicorp/terraform@sha256:5e19b9bab0b6d079cae8822be22cd7010f65177356600154b77fc4fc81bdde31 # 0.12.20
script:
-
cd envs/dev
-
terraform init
-
terraform plan --var-file default.tfvars
services:
-
docker

Note. The AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID and AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY are set in the pipeline variables

Any ideas how to reproduce this exactly locally or solve the issue?

---

So I've figured out what the issue was and a temporary solution. Seems like the bitbucket pipelines must be running in kubernetes pods as it seems that the kubernetes service links are being injected as environment variables.

The service variables e.g. KUBERNETES_PORT, KUBERNETES_SERVICE_PORT, KUBERNETES_PORT_443_TCP_ADDR etc must trigger a different path in the terraform EKS module.

I would suggest that the bitbucket pipelines team switch this off in the PodSpec using the variable `enableServiceLinks`. See more documentation https://kubernetes.io/docs/reference/generated/kubernetes-api/v1.14/#pod-v1-core

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events